Pattern match question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJBILLT

Do you guys use layout software to figure this out, and do you make accurate measurements to input. Because the guy that came out from Lowes rounded everything up room by room, added up the sq ft in his head and then added 15%. He says because of the pattern match he needs nearly double the sq ft. I think he doesn't know how to figure it out. Advice please.

He doesn't have a clue what he is doing. You measure and add the amount of the pattern match to each piece. Won't be anywhere near 15% unless you have a 3' match. And no, I don't use software. It is easier to me to just use pencil and paper.

Do you guys use layout software to figure this out, and do you make accurate measurements to input. Because the guy that came out from Lowes rounded everything up room by room, added up the sq ft in his head and then added 15%. He says because of the pattern match he needs nearly double the sq ft. I think he doesn't know how to figure it out. Advice please.
Did he measure with a standard tape measure or an electronic tape measure?
The electronic ones can record the measurements then a program can put the measurements into a house layout, sorta like a blueprint. Those programs can do seam layout and who knows whatever else.
If the carpet is a low pile patterned loop pile It can take a lot of extra carpet to reduce the number of seams. Some types of pattern carpet don't seam up well, so reducing the seams makes for a better looking job.
It's hard to tell without seeing your actual layout and choice of material if the guy was overestimating. If he added 15%, then doubled the amount of material required, I smell fish. If however he doubled the square feet of all of the room dimensions it's a different story............ tho still seems excessive.
If a room in the house measures 10 feet by 16 feet, that's 160 sq feet. If 15 foot wide carpet was purchased, it's possible that you may need a piece of carpet 16 feet long and 15 feet wide to do that room in order to keep the carpet running the same direction as the rest of the house............... that room requires 240 sq feet, not 160 sq feet as simply measured wall to wall.
Now if you chose 12 foot wide carpet, the room would need 192 sq feet. Add a 36 inch pattern match to that room and you may now need 228 sq feet. 228 sq feet is a lot more than the simple room dimensions, but that may be the actual amount needed.
Without additional information on the room dimensions and carpet type, it's hard to tell if the guy is on the up and up.
Less seaming means a better looking job most of the time, just request that all left over carpet that you purchased remain on the job site.

Last edited:
I fergetted about that............... You might have just saved this guy 50%. ...or 33.34% if it's 12 foot goods. :D
Like I said, it's hard to make the call without the home layout and the actual material that was chosen.
That said, I doubt for some reason that Lowes was selling NJBILLT a $130 per square yard woven wool material. :D
In my previous comment, I was just saying that there are a lot of variables, so it's not easy to judge any particular situation.

Last edited:
Sq feet in the house has little to do with the layout of the home, type of material and actual square feet of the combined room measurements. A 10 my 10 room plus a pattern match with 13' goods in reality means 130 sq feet of carpet to do 100 sq feet of room.
Is a stairway involved? Is it 34 inches wide or 49? Is the pattern subtle or is it a Confederate flag pattern.
The poster needs to add a little more info.

.....he also needs to shop at more than one store for comparison purposed at the very least. I don't consider Lowes a carpet store.
Flooring stores are the real flooring places to shop in my opinion because that's their only line of business. IE: they don't sell toilets, lumber and screwdrivers.

Latest posts

Back