Phones

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Phones...........

telephone.jpg

I was at a friends house today that has the old wall mounted crank phone where you had to talk into the horn. I lifted the reciever and just remembered how heavy they were. My grand parents had one like that when I was little. If I remember right we did to and it was on a party line where everyone else on the same line could listen in.
The one you pictured in the joke Rusty is a modern version.

Daris

Phones...........

I also remember the wooden box phone on the wall with the crank, and party lines. OH God I am old as you guys! I tell everyone my sister was born with a tail. She was mean.

Last edited:
In the early 70's I worked in the woods in an area called Salmon River, here in the north state. No power, no telephone except for crank phones. It was, and in some cases is like Deliverance. Anyway, when I had to use a phone to call another there, everyone had ring codes that consisted of some short rings and some long ones. The house I was at was 9 longs and 11 shorts. When you're ringing someone, everybody's phone rings, so you have to wait to see if it gonna be your set of rings. No secrets in those days. Some of them are still operating.

In the early 70's I worked in the woods in an area called Salmon River, here in the north state. No power, no telephone except for crank phones. It was, and in some cases is like Deliverance. Anyway, when I had to use a phone to call another there, everyone had ring codes that consisted of some short rings and some long ones. The house I was at was 9 longs and 11 shorts. When you're ringing someone, everybody's phone rings, so you have to wait to see if it gonna be your set of rings. No secrets in those days. Some of them are still operating.

Wait a second there Darol, lets here more about the Deliverence aspect. :D

It some ways the people there are similar to the inhabitants of the river area in Deliverance. There's still folks out there that live in shacks and are tucked away back in the woods and not too friendly to outsiders. It's just been a way of life for some there for a long time. There was a guy that use to hang around the campfires with the rest of the loggers drinking beer and BSin in the evening. He died 20 years later only to find out that he was a she.:eek: Ya would have never known it.

A shot from the summit looking down into it. It's a beautiful place. Great fishing!!

P1010305.JPG

It some ways the people there are similar to the inhabitants of the river area in Deliverance. There's still folks out there that live in shacks and are tucked away back in the woods and not too friendly to outsiders. It's just been a way of life for some there for a long time. There was a guy that use to hang around the campfires with the rest of the loggers drinking beer and BSin in the evening. He died 20 years later only to find out that he was a she.:eek: Ya would have never known it.

A shot from the summit looking down into it. It's a beautiful place. Great fishing!!

Upstate Pennsylvania is a lot like that. When your driving through they are looking at you with a leary eye!

Last edited:
My father in law was raised in mountains of Missouri in the 20's/30's. He's told me stories of living in the woods in little cabins, no shoes and school only went to 6th grade. His dad was a trapper that he seldom saw. He talked of eating lots of Missouri beef. We call it beans. :) I guess we all have some hillbilly's around someplace. They're an interesting bunch to experience. Pretty basic living and survival. All the power to them.

Latest posts

Back