Plasticizer Migration

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Plasticizer Migration aka Antioxidant Staining

Certain compounds added to rubber can discolor a vinyl floor when in contact with it. These chemical compounds, referred to as antioxidants, are formulated into rubber materials to extend the life of the rubber and prevent brittleness. Some antioxidants react chemically with ingredients (plasticizers) in flexible vinyl to produce a yellowish stain. This is referred to in the vinyl industry as "antioxidant staining." Any source of rubber containing these antioxidants in contact with the floor could produce this staining. Certain types of rubber mats, rubber-backed rugs, and rubber wheels on carts, can cause this discoloration. To avoid this problem, insure that the mats and wheels which will be in contact with the vinyl floor are of the "non-staining
type of rubber."

I went to a home recently that had that problem on all three different vinyls, I was there to measure the floor not determine the cause of the staining but she asked my opinion. As the vinyls had all been installed at different times and the staining was mainly in traffis areas I determined it was most likely there slippers. She accepted this but then asked what slippers should she buy? I couldnt answer that, so what do you suggest? I said find slippers that dont have rubber soles but it would appear there isnt many out there.

I went to a home recently that had that problem on all three different vinyls, I was there to measure the floor not determine the cause of the staining but she asked my opinion. As the vinyls had all been installed at different times and the staining was mainly in traffis areas I determined it was most likely there slippers. She accepted this but then asked what slippers should she buy? I couldnt answer that, so what do you suggest? I said find slippers that dont have rubber soles but it would appear there isnt many out there.

I would suggest knitted slippers or booties, whatever you call them. The onnly time I actually saw plasticizer migration was on vinyl base over vinyl wall paper. Turned the base glue kind of like snotty[sorry] or slimmey.

Daris

I would suggest knitted slippers or booties, whatever you call them. The onnly time I actually saw plasticizer migration was on vinyl base over vinyl wall paper. Turned the base glue kind of like snotty[sorry] or slimmey.

Daris

I have seen lots of snotty, slimmey vinyl of late. And moisture tests conclude the slab is wet...very wet. So if this is also plasticizer migration is this because the moisture in the concrete releases salts changing the alkilinity which then attacks the adhesive...........did that make sense?:confused:

I have seen lots of snotty, slimmey vinyl of late. And moisture tests conclude the slab is wet...very wet. So if this is also plasticizer migration is this because the moisture in the concrete releases salts changing the alkilinity which then attacks the adhesive...........did that make sense?:confused:

That may be the moisture itself making the adhesive wetter or slimmey. Alkilinity I believe just flat out turns the adhesive to powder or eats it away. BUUUUUUUUUUT I maybe wrong on all counts.

Daris

Excessive moisture on wall base? Hardly But it can help on resilient on floors. Problem with resilient on floors in that due to the slabs moisture moving upwards ie; equilibration, after it is covered with a impervious material always confuses the issue if it's PM or alkalinity.

I thought PM was the use of wrong adhesives used on vinyl products and also rubber on top of vinyl. I may be confused by all the confusion.

Excessive moisture on wall base? Hardly But it can help on resilient on floors. Problem with resilient on floors in that due to the slabs moisture moving upwards ie; equilibration, after it is covered with a impervious material always confuses the issue if it's PM or alkalinity.

I thought PM was the use of wrong adhesives used on vinyl products and also rubber on top of vinyl. I may be confused by all the confusion.

I also thought PM was the reaction between the PVC and the adhesive (latex) not the alkalinity from the slab. They do get confused though.

I have seen lots of snotty, slimmey vinyl of late. And moisture tests conclude the slab is wet...very wet. QUOTE]

How long after the flooring was lifted did it take to dry?

It was still in the 90% after a month. Slab was pretty old 30-40yrs. Vinyl was a tiny bit shrunk at the joins but all in all flat as a pancake, but boy what a stench when lifting :eek:

Customer was not convinced he had a problem as the existing vinyl was fine...:rolleyes:

It was still in the 90% after a month. Slab was pretty old 30-40yrs. Vinyl was a tiny bit shrunk at the joins but all in all flat as a pancake, but boy what a stench when lifting :eek:

Customer was not convinced he had a problem as the existing vinyl was fine...:rolleyes:

I'd hazard a guess that it was in a place where excessive cleaning had taken place.
Like a restaurant kitchen or something similar where they basically 'hose the floor' and mop it.
Seen a few terrible kitchens in my time....places I'd never go to eat!!!

I'd hazard a guess that it was in a place where excessive cleaning had taken place.
Like a restaurant kitchen or something similar where they basically 'hose the floor' and mop it.
Seen a few terrible kitchens in my time....places I'd never go to eat!!!

Nope, gooey glue was consistant across the entire 100m2 all rooms all areas, only a coupple of seams had opened up. No hosing probably moping but the vinyl was coved everywhere

Also if there was a dewpoint issue at time of install and the glue went down and never set up properly, how would one tell the difference? Do ya'll carry a thermohygrometer, infared laser thermometer and a concrete meter with you on gluedowns?

Yep, Dew point was two degrees out, that was my conclusion. Hard to explain to the client that although there vinyl has lasted 15-20yrs you do have a problem and this will effect the new floor coverings to be installed.......

Latest posts

Back