Really, really dark brown engineered wood?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khq0660

Anyone know of a really dark engineered wood? I see it in design photos, but can't find it, only medium dark. I currently have Triangulo Maduro Chestnut that has to be replaced due to water damage. I like the dark color, but since it has little grain or variation, everyone, including pros, call it "laminate". I don't want hardwood that looks like plastic again.

My furniture is formal, so I'm looking for a wood that isn't rustic looking.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Darn, I was going to suggest a hand scraped look. I've seen a lot of dark ones. Whatever you chose, the more plus, the better. A thick top layer is nice too.
There is one that a local shop has access to. I think the 3/4inch is 11 ply with nearly a 1/4" top layer.
Sheoha is the name.
https://www.sheogaflooring.com/about/testimonials/
.....you might have to sell your kids and the second car 🚗
😁

I doubt the insurance company will go for $$$$$. The floor just has to outlive me, which shouldn't take long. It doesn't have to go on forever.

Darn, I was going to suggest a hand scraped look. I've seen a lot of dark ones. Whatever you chose, the more plus, the better. A thick top layer is nice too.
There is one that a local shop has access to. I think the 3/4inch is 11 ply with nearly a 1/4" top layer.
Sheoha is the name.
https://www.sheogaflooring.com/about/testimonials/
.....you might have to sell your kids and the second car 🚗
😁
Ok, I might have to break down and do a handscraped. I've searched all over town and gotten tons of samples from the internet, and all of the supposedly dark hardwood floors are actually medium in color. What handscraped options do you suggest that are actually dark brown instead of medium?

Ok, I might have to break down and do a handscraped. I've searched all over town and gotten tons of samples from the internet, and all of the supposedly dark hardwood floors are actually medium in color. What handscraped options do you suggest that are actually dark brown instead of medium?
If you did insist on a more classic smooth and high gloss dark wood it's a forever battle to keep scratches, dulling or discoloration off the finish layer. Less gloss and less perfectly smooth disguise normal wear and tear rather than HIGHLIGHT every speck of dust and any very minor defect.

If you had a team of servants to immediately sop up any spills, prevent any scratches, dust after every footprint, maintain and refinish the hardwood on a routine basis those dark, smooth, high-gloss wood floors are absolutly beautiful. The industry prefers the "rustic" style not only because it's the latest trend but with a more authentic hardwood floor in other than the Royal Family households there's gonna be dust/scratches/stains/dulling-------------real quicklike out of the box so the quality control and research and development teams work 24/7 answering complaints to explain what's actually an inherent feature of a dark, smooth high-gloss.

The same goes with the plastic, imitation........"luxury".......flooring. Take down the gloss and mix in various colors and textures to camaflauge normal wear and routine cleaning.

Heck, I just got a new sample in the mail of the same stuff I have on my floor now. I installed this about 10 years ago. The color on the new sample isn't close to what's on the floor now. It's missing a lot of the darker tones. If my dishwasher hadn't misbehaved, I wouldn't be in this mess.

How about this. I see plenty of unfinished engineered wood with 4mm wear layers for sale. Apparently these are meant to be stained somehow. However, I had an experienced floor stainer over here who told me not to try it because it would have to be glued down and so I'd have to get the 3/8" thick wood to allow for flexibility for gluing to an imperfect cement surface and then if there were any small humps anywhere they would just sand right through the wear layer while prepping the wood. He said he'd email me an estimate for staining anyway, but blew it off. Why is unfinished engineered wood sold if it can't be stained? Moving to a different thread.

Latest posts

Back