Reminder for those that tow

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever backed your boat down into the water, then got out and started to unhook the safety chains and hitch?

If you're talking about the chains and hitch to the truck, no. If you're talking about unbuckling the boat from the trailor, yes. And....many times forgot to put the plug in too.:eek: But that comes with the territory.:D

If you're talking about the chains and hitch to the truck, no. If you're talking about unbuckling the boat from the trailor, yes. And....many times forgot to put the plug in too. But that comes with the territory.:D

Good, ..................I don't feel so bad now.
I had a ski boat for a few years and the first few trips to the lake were uneventful because of mechanical troubles. I had spent more time moving my boat from point A to point B and never getting near water. I was so used to hooking up and unhooking the boat trailer, that the first time I backed it into the lake, I got out and promptly started disconnecting the trailer. :eek:
I'm glad the audience was so small....... just me and a friend.
I forgot the plug once and it just about went down. I had the marina in Lakeside replace the ignition box, but went up late after work one evening to pick up the boat. It was getting dark and I never had the engine running from day one, so I wanted to dip it into the water just to hear how it sounded then maybe take it for a quick spin out from the dock.
Walt, by buddy, backed the boat down and I tied the boat to the dock and tried starting it as he parked the truck.
The boat had never touched water at this point, so I was unsure why the bow tilted up so high. I figured it was because the '67 100HP Evinrude was so heavy. I had to mess with the manual choke at the back of the boat, plus set the throttle at the drivers seat.............. after three attempts to get it started, I found myself steppin in water at the rear of the boat. :eek:
The boat had a carpeted plywood floor, an water was comming in like gangbusters sight unseen under the floor.

Long story short, I am glad that Walt was so good at backing up a trailer.
The boat was so water laden, we could only get it part way onto the trailer .....just enough so we could pull forward and let it drain down.
You can see why my very first 'outing' was souring me on owning a hole in the water.
Sold it a year later after building a custom trailer for it with box tubing, new prop, a used lower unit, ignition module .....seats, and carpet.
Water is for making coffee and beer. :D

Last edited:
Hey, if anyone's owned a boat for a while and doesn't have an "I left the plug out" story, there's something wrong.:) Sounds like you got a fast crash course on owning a boat High.:D I've got my butt covered. I put two different sump pumps in the boat to balance out my forgetfulness.:D Knock on wood, I haven't had the plug issue in some time now.

I think there must be more to the story. No way he could have made it 50 miles with that shower of sparks and nobody tell him or the police that there's a problem......unless he was really, really drunk.

I think there must be more to the story. No way he could have made it 50 miles with that shower of sparks and nobody tell him or the police that there's a problem......unless he was really, really drunk.

No story is fun without exaggeration. :D
I'd love to hear the entire story. I bet he made it a mile or two till the tire popped............... the rim? .......bet it lasted quite a while. Once on the axle and spring perch it would take a lot of miles to get that bad.
Be reminded tho that a lot of people wait till retirement, then buy a monster coach to go see the world, having never driven a huge vehicle like those things............. steep learning curve for this fella.

Latest posts

Back