Repairing a floating cork floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
You know those 'know it all' appliance guys that refuse a lady homeowners offering of towels to protect the floor when the guy slides the dishwasher out from under a cabinet?
................well I figure after 40 years in business, there must be a point where it becomes logical in an economic sense, to lay down a protective surface of some sort when installing, or removing appliances.
You would think that after the first damaged floor that some sort of plastic floor protection would become a mandatory item.
......nope. It keeps happening. Why don't they learn???

The damage to the cork is mostly superficial. Scuff marks and some small indentations in the form of chatter marks.
The floor is 3 years old, and I assume that if ordered, the new cork would not match, either by color, or by surface sheen. I didn't measure, but the cork panels as I recall, are about 15 by 30? They are a lock together product, and unlocking rows to do replacements seems very risky.
The cork flooring is a dark coffee color with patches of a slightly lighter color. The flooring has natural 'dents' or depressions of it's own, so it's not a flawlessly smooth surface. This alone makes repairing a better option in my opinion.
My thoughts are, carefully smoothing out any dents or raised areas, then dab on a little stain, and using a small artists brush, carefully apply an acrylic of the same sheen only to the small dents and dings................. It looks like a satin finish.

Do you guys have any feedback for repairing a few minor dings and scrapes in a floating cork floor?

Customer has no extra from the installation.............. it would need to be ordered.

Last edited:
You know those 'know it all' appliance guys that refuse a lady homeowners offering of towels to protect the floor when the guy slides the dishwasher out from under a cabinet?
................well I figure after 40 years in business, there must be a point where it becomes logical in an economic sense, to lay down a protective surface of some sort when installing, or removing appliances.
You would think that after the first damaged floor that some sort of plastic floor protection would become a mandatory item.
......nope. It keeps happening. Why don't they learn???

The damage to the cork is mostly superficial. Scuff marks and some small indentations in the form of chatter marks.
The floor is 3 years old, and I assume that if ordered, the new cork would not match, either by color, or by surface sheen. I didn't measure, but the cork panels as I recall, are about 15 by 30? They are a lock together product, and unlocking rows to do replacements seems very risky.
The cork flooring is a dark coffee color with patches of a slightly lighter color. The flooring has natural 'dents' or depressions of it's own, so it's not a flawlessly smooth surface. This alone makes repairing a better option in my opinion.
My thoughts are, carefully smoothing out any dents or raised areas, then dab on a little stain, and using a small artists brush, carefully apply an acrylic of the same sheen only to the small dents and dings................. It looks like a satin finish.

Do you guys have any feedback for repairing a few minor dings and scrapes in a floating cork floor?

Customer has no extra from the installation.............. it would need to be ordered.

I had one a while ago that the furniture removal guys thought it was real slate. It was sheet vinyl

They will never learn, no matter how many floors they have to pay for................. I have become sure of that. It won't ever change.

Funny I got a call today about the same thing. But vinyl. I told her to make them buy an entire new floor. Why? Because once you try and fix it and the patch or whatever does not satisfy the consumers vision or reality then those appliance guys are off the hook. Then they will blame it on you for not fixing it correctly. Don't play the fitz it game unless you have a job specific waiver.

I used to do those vinyl repairs for a local company, but after I upped the patch and waiver price to $250 they told me to go F'myself. :D They F'd up the floor they should not pay for an entire new floor?

And yes, the cork can come in looking different. Bid to replace the entire floor so your not going though the motions of ordering replacement that does not match. THE MANUFACTURER will not guarantee it so why should you?

They are lucky it is not an old school gluedown cork tile floor. That costs more due to demo and replacement and new onsite finish.

Last edited:
You can do board replacements on cork just like laminate. The color may be a bit off being from a different dye lot however its a much easier fix than a full rip out. I usually charge $150 for the first pc and $50 for each subsequent. Its a fairly quick process.

I just bought an air sled. Best thing for moving appliances over new floors. I can move a loaded fridge by myself with two fingers. Awesome toy!

Its a funny world
We damage the paint or anything We get charged. Someone else wrecks our floors we are expected to fix it like brand new and not charge much
Got told off yesterday for shifting a desk in an office block and the puter came undone. We asked them to shift everything 3 times

You can do board replacements on cork just like laminate. The color may be a bit off being from a different dye lot however its a much easier fix than a full rip out. I usually charge $150 for the first pc and $50 for each subsequent. Its a fairly quick process.

I just bought an air sled. Best thing for moving appliances over new floors. I can move a loaded fridge by myself with two fingers. Awesome toy!

I agree with this. The floating cork locks together just like laminate. The wider boards, however, are a lot more trouble to get into a tighter place like under the front of a cabinet. If its a narrow-ish rip, then its not so bad.

I agree with this. The floating cork locks together just like laminate. The wider boards, however, are a lot more trouble to get into a tighter place like under the front of a cabinet. If its a narrow-ish rip, then its not so bad.

Installation went towards the toe kick, so removing any planks would start at the toe and work backwards. There's a 5/16" stained face on the toe kick now. and that's all.............. no other plywood backing behind the 5/16"
It's a long narrow kitchen, so removing three rows could be an issue........ partly because the ceramic tile to cork transition at the back entry was done with grout caulk. It looks great. I'd have to cut out a narrow bead of grout caulk to begin the removal process................. so the plot thickens.

Last edited:
Funny I got a call today about the same thing. But vinyl. I told her to make them buy an entire new floor. Why? Because once you try and fix it and the patch or whatever does not satisfy the consumers vision or reality then those appliance guys are off the hook. Then they will blame it on you for not fixing it correctly. Don't play the fitz it game unless you have a job specific waiver.

I used to do those vinyl repairs for a local company, but after I upped the patch and waiver price to $250 they told me to go F'myself. :D They F'd up the floor they should not pay for an entire new floor?

And yes, the cork can come in looking different. Bid to replace the entire floor so your not going though the motions of ordering replacement that does not match. THE MANUFACTURER will not guarantee it so why should you?

They are lucky it is not an old school gluedown cork tile floor. That costs more due to demo and replacement and new onsite finish.
We operate on handshakes 'round these here parts, not lawsuits and blame games. If an attempt is made and won't suffice, then it will get replaced.
The appliance store was notified of the damage, and the decision on which route to go will be made between the home owner, the retailer and the appliance shop.
If this happened to my own cork floor, I'd just dab on some appropriate top coat in the places that need it and call it good. No big chunks were gouged out of the floor. Most people would never be able to see the damage unless it was shown to them.

Last edited:
Well first, unlocking rows is not risky at all. Most of these locking mechanisms are rotating lock, so the whole row needs to go down together ie; no end joing tapping or you'll shave the lip off.

Next, the newer microwave iron with utility tape method. Not really as risky either, its just if you don't do carpet you'll hardly ever use one....(I certainly would never ever ever use on to start a naildown hardwopod job like they advertise.)

Also, you can cut out the area and use many forms of materials to slip under the edges and use 5 minute epoxy on both sides that will not lock, ecentially like the microwave iron method cept more hill-billy.

Lastly, I had my forst air-sled back in the mid 80's when all I did was sheetgoods for Sherwin, Color Tile, Sears and others. Then them big side by sides came out and I kept blowing out the bladders.

Well first, unlocking rows is not risky at all. Most of these locking mechanisms are rotating lock, so the whole row needs to go down together ie; no end going tapping or you'll shave the lip off.

Next, the newer microwave iron with utility tape method. Not really as risky either, its just if you don't do carpet you'll hardly ever use one....(I certainly would never ever ever use on to start a nail down hardwood job like they advertise.)

Also, you can cut out the area and use many forms of materials to slip under the edges and use 5 minute epoxy on both sides that will not lock, essentially like the microwave iron method cept more hill-billy.

Lastly, I had my first air-sled back in the mid 80's when all I did was sheetgoods for Sherwin, Color Tile, Sears and others. Then them big side by sides came out and I kept blowing out the bladders. Thats when many of you weren't eligible for a drivers license. :)

We operate on handshakes 'round these here parts, not lawsuits and blame games. .

To me its much better to have someone sign off on some verbiage than to risk Somone getting pp'd whom may think he is getting the shaft when another party wont honor a verbal agreement.

Last edited:
Well first, unlocking rows is not risky at all. Most of these locking mechanisms are rotating lock, so the whole row needs to go down together ie; no end going tapping or you'll shave the lip off.

Next, the newer microwave iron with utility tape method. Not really as risky either, its just if you don't do carpet you'll hardly ever use one....(I certainly would never ever ever use on to start a nail down hardwood job like they advertise.)

Also, you can cut out the area and use many forms of materials to slip under the edges and use 5 minute epoxy on both sides that will not lock, essentially like the microwave iron method cept more hill-billy.

Lastly, I had my first air-sled back in the mid 80's when all I did was sheetgoods for Sherwin, Color Tile, Sears and others. Then them big side by sides came out and I kept blowing out the bladders. Thats when many of you weren't eligible for a drivers license. :)

To me its much better to have someone sign off on some verbiage than to risk Somone getting pp'd whom may think he is getting the shaft when another party wont honor a verbal agreement.
Ya never lived in a small town did yu? I know the store owner, the previous store owner, the customer and the business owner that screwed up the floor............... and I have known the guy that previously owned the appliance store since I was a kid, and his wife and my aunt were "bestus" high school buddies in the whole wide world............................ and living 500 miles away from each other, they still are "bestus" buddies. Both are in their early 70's
.................it's like that 10 steps to Kevin Bacon game, only we hit pay dirt on the third try. Small towns don't need contracts, disclaimers, or legal sides shows.
The appliance guy's worker was in a hurry, he didn't protect the floor even after the homeowner offered towels because she was concerned about how he was working.
He continued without protection and damaged the floor.
His boss was notified of the damage. There is no dispute on what happened.
I can't imagine living in a non handshake world.

Ya never lived in a small town did yu? I know the store owner, the previous store owner, the customer and the business owner that screwed up the floor............... and I have known the guy that previously owned the appliance store since I was a kid, and his wife and my aunt were "bestus" high school buddies in the whole wide world............................ and living 500 miles away from each other, they still are "bestus" buddies. Both are in their early 70's
.................it's like that 10 steps to Kevin Bacon game, only we hit pay dirt on the third try. Small towns don't need contracts, disclaimers, or legal sides shows.
The appliance guy's worker was in a hurry, he didn't protect the floor even after the homeowner offered towels because she was concerned about how he was working.

A lot of that is the same here. I know who not to work for.

Ya well ya dont have to write a book about it. ;) Your answer is yes I have lived in a small town. Tucson used to be a small town. I work out in the surrounding small towns alot. I do handshake jobs all the time because I know how to read people. But, people will be people.Oh, am I rambling again? :)

Last edited:
:D Damn, sorry I said anything about hand jobs, err handshake jobs.

So nothing on the tips I spoke of then....well screw this I am going to happy hour. :cool:

Latest posts

Back