Rule of thumb starting a tile job / layout

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyflooringpros

Hey guys ,

I know how to mix thinset , lay tile , mix grout , even do layout in one room. But I have an unreliable tile setter and a job coming up. My job includes tile base , which I am not sure how large they should be . The whole tile is 13*13 . How large are most tile bases ? Lastly the job has three rooms all going into the hallway. Do I center the hallway and start there or start in a room and work my way out ? Hmmm what are your thoughts ?

Balance out the hallway first, go out from there. I usualy do base about 3 1/2 to 4 inches tall.

A good layout pays particular attention to focal points and unusually difficult cuts.

If you can grid the entire space you can start anywhere you like or set any tiles you like.

If you can grid the entire space you can start anywhere you like or set any tiles you like.

Yea, if your tile is rectified. I would not try that with any old tile being as most off the shelf tile from a box store is off a 1/16 sometimes.

Ernesto said:
Yea, if your tile is rectified. I would not try that with any old tile being as most off the shelf tile from a box store is off a 1/16 sometimes.

The grid method provides an advantage when working with inconsistently sized tile.

The grid method provides an advantage when working with inconsistently sized tile.

Really? I'd like to hear more about that. Grids are relient on a tile that is consistant in size so one does not run off the grid.

This 4 tile grid pictured maintains a consistent width grout joint at the lines and internalizes tile size inconsistencies within the frame.

4-tile-grid.jpg

If you're working with a grid like this and inconsistently sized tile you most likely will have a problem.

1-image1-001.jpg

Latest posts

Back