S600 Available for Review

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silly question
Why would carpet cleaners be writing standards for carpet laying?
Do they have more funds to spend on updating standards than flooring groups?
Do the cleaners have flooring people over looking this process with the flooring layers having the final say
I wouldn't like the cleaners to write the standards for laying here in NZ
Am I missing something here?

Jon said:

The IICRC is a certifying body for cleaners, inspectors and restorers...and I'm guessing they have their sights set on installers too.

Silly question
Do they have more funds to spend on updating standards than flooring groups?
Do the cleaners have flooring people over looking this process with the flooring layers having the final say
I wouldn't like the cleaners to write the standards for laying here in NZ

There have been many installers wondering the same thing, Jon. Another reason these will be ignored just like the CRIs. In the end, the mills will not care who follows them as long as they sell carpet and the stores won't care as long as they don't have complaints. The customers won't care as long as they like way the finished product looks. Just like now.

Floorist said:
...mills will not care...stores won't care...The customers won't care...Just like now.

But for lousy installers this is a new menu that dictates what they will eat and why.

Since 1973, I have been a store owner, installer, salesman at a big box and contractor. Had never heard of the CRIs until I joined the old FCI forum about 2006. I would bet that at least 1/2 the installers in the U.S. still have no idea that they exist and won't know about the new ones. Other than on line, I have never met an installer or retailer that knew what CFI is. I knew because I was there when it started. Most installers just want to do the job and go home. I know I might read the finished product if it's free. Won't if it costs anything.

Had never heard of the CRIs until I joined the old FCI forum about 2006.

I think anyone in the business long enough has experienced or been involved with a floor gone bad. The natural question to ask is, "why do I have to eat this"? It's always good to know what's expected of you and if you follow those standards you can be confident in calling BS.

I'll take the time to scrutinize the proposed standards during this 45 day public review period. I certainly don't want to be asked to perform to an unrealistic standard and if I believe it to be so i will comment. But it's a good position to be in. Someone does the heavy lifting and I get to comment on where they placed the boxes. Nice gig.

From what I understand is that the IICRC is the ones that is making sure everything is worded properly and the only ones who can print a standard but they are not involved with making up the standard. The ones making up the standard are installers and manufacturers. The union is involved as well as CFI and other installers. I believe Roland Thompson may have some input in this also. All i's and t's have to be correct.

Daris

From what I understand is that the IICRC is the ones that is making sure everything is worded properly and the only ones who can print a standard but they are not involved with making up the standard. The ones making up the standard are installers and manufacturers. The union is involved as well as CFI and other installers. I believe Roland Thompson may have some input in this also. All i's and t's have to be correct.

Daris

The CRIs sure were not completely right. Not many installers agreed with the stretching diagram for one thing.

The CRIs sure were not completely right. Not many installers agreed with the stretching diagram for one thing.

That amongst other things. I understand though that someone wanted to lowerer the temperture for installation in the ansi to 55 degrees. That would be like installing glass. This has been in the works not for 2-3 years and actually not done yet. Just another step in the process.
Daris

That amongst other things. I understand though that someone wanted to lowerer the temperture for installation in the ansi to 55 degrees. That would be like installing glass. This has been in the works not for 2-3 years and actually not done yet. Just another step in the process.
Daris

How about a limit to the percentage of latex vs dirt in the backings to make them more installer friendly? Then you might be able to install at 55F.
What was the name of that carpet they made for a short while with no secondary, but almost pure latex back? Stretched like a mutha, stayed tight. Did a cabin in the winter and it never had a ripple all summer.

How about a limit to the percentage of latex vs dirt in the backings to make them more installer friendly? Then you might be able to install at 55F.

Yes, some have so much dirt in them that they won't stretch on initial installation. But, with foot traffic the backing softens and the carpet wrinkles. And of course, they blame the installer.

There's a lot of pork in this standard. One of the things I would have liked to see was some sort of out-of-the-box base line for pattern tolerances. It seems installer hygiene and grooming made it into the standard but carpet quality is off limits.

There's a lot of pork in this standard. One of the things I would have liked to see was some sort of out-of-the-box base line for pattern tolerances. It seems installer hygiene and grooming made it into the standard but carpet quality is off limits.

Obviously the mills have their back pocket as usual. How can you have a dress code in an installation standard. LOL
I bet that stupid 1 1/2 percent stretching rule is still there too.I'm not going to waste my time reading it.

If you do not read it and put in your 2 cent's then don't complain. Do I think it will be perfect? No. I am just hoping it will help level the playiing field when it comes to who get's the blame.
My biggest worry is who is going to have control of it? That is where the biggest fight will end up once it is done.

I'm glad that I'm old enough when this finally filters down, if it ever does, the CRIs never did, I will probably just be a memory.
I would like to read the dress code, tho. But that link would not open for me.

Latest posts

Back