Screwed up - Wife ready to kill me

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalhead212

First off, hello to everyone and thank you in advance for any input you may be able to provide me.

Long story short, I'm refinishing the living room floor. I've sanded 4 grit levels and have arrived at the point where I'm laying down stain. I'm working with a Minwax oil based floor stain and have not yet put any poly down. As I was going through on my first pass with the stain, I noticed that after it dried the areas of the floor I used wood glue on were not taking stain the way I had anticipated (rookie mistake #1). All the marks were along the edge of the wall so I thought maybe I could mask them with another coat of stain (rookie mistake #2). After the second coat dried nothing changed with the wood glue so I got honked off, pulled out my palm sander and sanded down to the bare wood all along the perimeter of the room (rookie mistake #3). I went and put a new coat of stain down on the perimeter of the floor and it came out matching the rest of the floor perfectly...EXCEPT, where the old stain met the new stain there is now a rather notice able lap mark stretching from one end of the room to the other going against the grain as I guess I didn't blend it well enough (rookie mistake #4).

With that being said, do I have any options to lessen the intensity of the lap marks? I've been putzing around with this project so long that my wife is ready to kill me, and truth be told, as soon as I saw the lap marks the "fun" I was having disappeared and I've lost my excitement for the job, I just really want it to be done now. I have heard that hitting the areas with mineral spirits and some fine steel wool would help, but I did it on a small test spot and it completely pulled the stain from the wood. I've also heard that hitting the spots with some 100-120 grit sand paper would help lessen the intensity as well. Ultimately I just need to know what would work best so that when I lay down the poly, it doesn't stick out like some idiot who didn't know what he was doing ran headfirst into a project he had no business starting in the first place.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, they are seriously appreciated!

Latest posts

Back