Scuff marks on the painted baseboards

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
With the job I am working on, there are bound to be some very minor scuff marks on the tall baseboards. The backing isn't as bad a most carpeting, but I have noticed some scuffing of the painted surface.
Is there a product that can polish out these minor abrasions? I don't want something like WD-40 that would interfere with repainting. I was thinking about maybe a little bit of toluene on a soft cloth to do some minor buffing.
Even rubbing with a dry soft cloth or my hands makes most of it go away.

Is there some other kind of solvent like this that might do the same thing? Acetone evaporates really fast, but I think it's way too strong.
I have a couple of large closets to experiment in.
The paint is a semi or eggshell water based paint. I think that it has been dry for a couple months. This is new construction.

Last edited:
To late now but in the future if you are concerned with scuffing the finish from the backing put 4" strips of formica against the base, trim, remove the formica then tuck it in. I also enveloped a room in cardbard as the painter said the paint couldn't be touched up.

Daris

The only thing i can think of HI,is IF SHE HAS ANY LEFT OVER PAINT GIVE IT A COAT.
HE has paint leftover. HE said he has a months worth of work for me after I get the carpet finished................. including painting. :eek:
He has painting, sheetrock work including flattening out a wall to accept paint...... without texture. :eek: baseboards and trim installation, mounting to large wall hung TVs, and furniture moving. I think maybe I'll start with the furniture to hide those little scuff marks. :eek:
To late now but in the future if you are concerned with scuffing the finish from the backing put 4" strips of Formica against the base, trim, remove the formica then tuck it in. I also enveloped a room in cardbard as the painter said the paint couldn't be touched up.

Daris
I don't have 150 feet of 6 inch tall Formica. I have used that before. I don't know if there's really much to be fixed. I saw a couple low to the floor and thought I'd ask in advance in case anyone has any tricks.

Last edited:
I tried some tolulene and then some denatured alcohol just for kicks. Toluene was to strong as I suspected. Denatured alcohol was a lot gentler, but still flattened it a little. I found that the heat created from vigorous rubbing using a fine, soft and smooth cotton fabric did best. Like I said, these are just scuffs. The paint is shiny so it takes very little to mark it.

The guy I'm working for says he has a lot of work for me to do for him....... sheetrock repair, trimming door casings, base installation, painting etc. I think I'm going to paint up some trim with the same paint, and let it dry for a month.............. and then make some scuffs on the board and then 'espiriment with some different methods of scuff removal. For now tho, I'll just rub em down.

Talking about marks on baseboards, I just finished a resand job and I got some stain onto the baseboards. I tried wiping it with paint thinner. But I only managed to get some of it off. Any suggestions?

baseboard should be painted with a harder paint than the walls--the paint guys i know recommend an enamel---ive been on jobs where the paint falls off if you look at it funny---hard to fix strips of paint laying on the broadloom

baseboard should be painted with a harder paint than the walls--the paint guys i know recommend an enamel---ive been on jobs where the paint falls off if you look at it funny---hard to fix strips of paint laying on the broadloom

That comes from these painters putting latex over high gloss varnish, poly or enamel without roughing it up first.
One local painter sprays everything. And over everything, bugs, dirt, whatever.

ben--- i would check the label on the stain---it should mention a solvent---there are lots of them--acetone--xylene---denatured alchohol---and a bunch of others

rugaddict said:
ben--- i would check the label on the stain---it should mention a solvent---there are lots of them--acetone--xylene---denatured alchohol---and a bunch of others

And whatever I use, won't take the paint off along with it?

whatcha want? a promise? this is the flooring biz----i promise that no matter what happens the fault will be yours---im just along for the ride

Talking about marks on baseboards, I just finished a resand job and I got some stain onto the baseboards. I tried wiping it with paint thinner. But I only managed to get some of it off. Any suggestions?

How high up on the baseboards? If the paint thinner didn't dull the finish, it might be worth spending additional time using that alone.
I'm not sure if Stoddard solvent is slightly more aggressive than paint thinner, but might be worth a try.
Goof off might work too, but if you try it, be careful that it doesn't soften and dull the finish. Sometimes you have to work fast with it, then buff with a clean dry rag. Trial and error........... less error. :D

Latest posts

Back