Sheet vinyl in old house

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken326

Hi all, new member with a problem. As said, our house in @125 years old. Not a level, plumb or square spot found in 41 years here.

Needing to cover the kitchen floor and sheet seems most forgiving. Right now, it is 9 x 9 tiles, prob 2 or 3 layers of linoleum, most likely asbestos glue so staying put. Room is 16' long and floor has sagged to about 3/4" low in center. Not too concerned about that, but two other issues.

In the cellar a shelf was built floor to ceiling in one corner and that shelf has effectively "held up" the floor above it so it has not sagged much. You can see the dip where it starts in front of the shelf and the tiles aboved are cracked. Second, at the end of the kitchen is a doorway leading to a "foyer", then a bathroom and a mudroom. All 3 of those were originally an outside porch (house built b4 indoor plumbing) and have a bad slant. The outside house wall is under the doorway out of the kitchen so that is the high point and then the floor slopes both ways. Putting my 4' level on the floor above that wall, gives a bout a 3/4" gap at each end.

My thought is to add layer of 1/4" luan and glue sheet down. I know these imperfections will quickly telegraph through, and I'm ok with that as it will still 300% better than the floor looks now as many of the tiles are cracked with pieces missing. I would fill the larger gaps with floor patch compound.

I know it's not the best solution, but don't want "best" to stand in the way of better. Thanks in advance for help. KP

Attachments

• Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 12
I could do that. Wouldn't the highs/lows still telegraph anyway?

My main concern is that the sheet won't stretch, tear etc with the flatness changes. That said, my first choice would be vinyl (flexible) planks I could install myself. Would have a pro install 10 x 16; sheet vinyl.

I'd want something more structural like 1/2" plywood because of those other layers.
Good plywood, not sheathing stuff. Something stout enough to bind everything under it together. On top of that, I don't think that 1/4" luan is a full 1/4" thick.

I could do that. Wouldn't the highs/lows still telegraph anyway?

My main concern is that the sheet won't stretch, tear etc with the flatness changes. That said, my first choice would be vinyl (flexible) planks I could install myself. Would have a pro install 10 x 16; sheet vinyl.
This is layer #4 ??????
Can you verify how well secured the existing layers of sheet goods and tile are? This will really affect your choices. I'm horrified of the thought of laying over loose, cracked resilient tiles that are already laid over multiple layers of existing floorcoverings which also may be loose/buckled.

But anyways, yeah, without demo or repairs the ply is just going to follow the highs and lows. If you can demo out just the peak areas and then shim the lows with layers of felt and other shimming material you can signifiantly flatten the substrate prior to your plywood underlayment.

Latest posts

Back