short boards in pattern

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artscallion

I'm laying a floor in a 16' long room. All boards supplied are 4.5' long. I'm using the manufacturers suggestion of laying full boards (4.5') until I reach the end, then cut the last board to fit. Then take the remainder of that cut board to begin the next row, following that with full board, etc.
If I continue this pattern, I find that several rows will begin or end with a board that is either only 6" or 12" long. Is this too short of a piece? I can't figure out how to get around this.

I'm laying a floor in a 16' long room. All boards supplied are 4.5' long. I'm using the manufacturers suggestion of laying full boards (4.5') until I reach the end, then cut the last board to fit. Then take the remainder of that cut board to begin the next row, following that with full board, etc.
If I continue this pattern, I find that several rows will begin or end with a board that is either only 6" or 12" long. Is this too short of a piece? I can't figure out how to get around this.

The small pieces are fine. If you don't like them then swap or shift around the board spacing to your liking.

If all the planks are defect free and usable, you'll probably be OK. When you are 1/2 way through the room, you'll know if you have enough.
One thing I do is to open a few boxes at a time, then inspect the edges and ends closely looking for chipped corners or defects. Mark those boards (specifically where damaged) with a piece of blue tape. Use those boards for end cuts. If the defect is in the center of a plank, you will gain two end cuts and not lose any material. This will also help when creating a pleasing stagger and avoid a stair stepped look.
If the defect is on an edge, use that plank for the first or last row were it will be trimmed off.
Worst case scenario is you need to buy another box of planks.

The finished floor. It was a challenge getting the pattern of the boards and the seams to appear random. But I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

970bxc.jpg

ek2hr6.jpg

Latest posts

Back