Where to begin laying laminate flooring?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindentree27

We're putting a 12mm laminate with click installation into our downstairs. We aren't sure where to actually begin laying the flooring. Here's what our layout looks like:

Here's another link to the image (not sure why it's not embedding)

We're concerned with where boards will line up on the long edge at the yellow line. Our plan is:
* Start at #1 and run the full length of that hall
* Work left towards wall #2
* Work right down hall #3
* Work left towards wall #4 and work right towards wall #5

So what happens when the boards meet at the yellow line? It's probably not going to be a perfect fit, so what do we do? I don't think the click lock system will work if we have reduce the width of a board.

We could start at wall #2, and work towards the right, but then there's still a good change the boards won't line up in the middle of room between walls #4 and #5.

Ideas?

FLooring.jpg

Last edited:
Wrapping around stuff is not an issue with click lock floors. I'd start on #5 and going from left to right until you hit the other side of the fireplace, then lock backwards up to #1 area. But make sure you start off straight, snap lines across the room and down into #1 area to make sure your going to look nice and straight and also not going to have a sliver of a piece along that wall.

I myself would start at #1, to ensure you have a straight line with as few cuts as possible. I would then work towards # 2, then move on to # 4 and # 5. Then again, I'm not an expert like some of the folks in here, but layed many homes worth or various wood, tile, pergo, etc. You also want the leading edge adjacent to the front door to look the straightest, as it will be seen everyday. JMHO!

Yeah, starting in the hall like area can be good to insure a straight line through there. But thats why you snap off lines out there to see how off that wall is to the others.

My main reason for starting off #5 is that starting off #1 or #2 walls makes you lay backwards around the fireplace. Going backwards is certainly doable with many click lock systems but some are more of a PITA to do. Why not just go forwards, it's faster.

Now if were a naildown or floating glued T&G engineered I'd most likely start in the middle, spline and go both directions.......on second thought naw.

Last edited:
Very nice description I must say...gotta love the internet. I would layout balanced at 1 which I believe would be the entry way. Go forward towards five, backward towards 2 and the connection would be at 3 not at the yellow line. Not an issue at all with the connection.

Where did your graphics come from?
Nice description of your project. The visual really helps, and even better than a photo.

The flooring lined up perfectly -- we did a happy dance when we discovered that everything would fit perfectly into place. Decided the builders must have been drinking great coffee when they framed the house!

@highup I used Photoshop to make the diagram.

The flooring lined up perfectly -- we did a happy dance when we discovered that everything would fit perfectly into place. Decided the builders must have been drinking great coffee when they framed the house!

@highup I used Photoshop to make the diagram.

Thanks for reporting back on my question.
Glad the install worked out so well for you. Good builders are often hard to find.

Latest posts

Back