Staining Unfinished Engineered Wood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khq0660

New thread about my inability to find dark engineered flooring. I see plenty of unfinished engineered wood with 4mm wear layers for sale. Apparently these are meant to be stained somehow. However, I had an experienced floor stainer over here who told me not to try it because it would have to be glued down and so I'd have to get the 3/8" thick wood to allow for flexibility for gluing to an imperfect cement surface and then if there were any small humps anywhere they would just sand right through the wear layer while prepping the wood. He said he'd email me an estimate for staining anyway, but blew it off. Why is unfinished engineered wood sold if it can't be stained?

Even with a thinner wood, a bumpy floor could be a problem. You should concentrate on getting the cement slab flat. Either grind the humps and fill in the dips or use self leveling compound on the whole area. Then you could use any thickness floor you like.

i’ve never seen or worked with an unfinished engineered wood floor, but I can’t imagine there would be too much sanding involved? I’d like to think it comes pretty smooth from the factory otherwise what’s the point? Maybe if anything just a light screening? I’d check with the manufacturer.

Yeah, what JP said.
Look up the floor specs for the material looking at. It's pretty much universal about requiring a flat floor. ...a very flat floor. Flat means flat to 3/16 of an inch or less over 10 ft, I believe that's a 10 ft radius.
It's a piece of wood flooring has a slight bow to it, it can be weighted down. If the floor substrate has a dip in it, the wood floor can't be pushed down into the dip. Adhesive is just that, it's not a filler.
People that manugacture flooring products be at wood or lvp, mention that type of stuff in the instructions, but they should highlight it in red, or somehow to give it much more emphasis.

Latest posts

Back