Starting/Transition 3/4" Hardwood

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundn20

Hi,

I am new to this forum. A little background: I am currently in the middle of constructing my own home and its time for flooring! I am pretty handy and a relatively fast learner - but I do not do this for a living and want to make sure I get started correctly and use proper methods.

If you view my attached image, you'll notice I've pointed out which way the floor joists are running. I'll be laying the flooring perpendicular to those. I plan on flooring bedroom 1, bedroom 2, hallway, bonus room, lin closet with 3/4" tongue and groove.

My question:

Starting- recommendations on how/where to start? Would the proper layout be to try and do the entire floor in a continuous run, or would you have transitions at each doorway into the bedroom?

Thank you for any help in advance!
-Sean

2nd floor.jpg

I'd run the baseline from Room 1 into the hallway. Then run to the left and to the right. I'd do it all as 1 layout. One reason for door way transitions is so that if you wanted to refinish one room the transition would provide a stop/start point. If you had a transition in Room 1's doorway you would have to try and align the boards on both sides of the transition so that their joint lines would line up. Were you going to do flush transitions or raised? Is installing the flooring diagonally, as can been seen in you diagram, an option?

Latest posts

Back