The Football Thread

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incognito

Professional
Pro
Yeah the first time we flew into LA we couldn't get over the size and number of planes at LA. Don't forget I come from a country of 4 million people whereas you lot have that many people in one corner of one of your cities :)
They scare you on AIRNZ to make sure you have the forms filled out correctly
That form is a trap for us as most places on it the date is the month then day but right at the bottom of the page they put the date in our format of day then month just to see if they can trap me
We always have had good guys at the counters
We would fly to San Fran if we are going to Vegas as thats a much better airport
We have only stayed in LA a couple of days and then that was when we were catching a ship to go through the Panama Canal to Fort Laudidale. Another of our round about trips to get to Vegas
Also spent a week at Anaheuim

Anaheim?

That's essentially Los Angeles. In fact in case you don't know the baseball team that plays in Anaheim at Anaheim Stadium calls itself the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

See what I mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Angels_of_Anaheim

Don't believe it. We just signed on the Rams, an old LA team. They are building a new $2 billion stadium for them, but it will take 3 years to build it. San Diego apparently has found the money to build them a new stadium in their home town.

Anyone just watch the Green Bay / Arizona game? Best game I've seen in years.

Don't believe it. We just signed on the Rams, an old LA team. They are building a new $2 billion stadium for them, but it will take 3 years to build it. San Diego apparently has found the money to build them a new stadium in their home town.

They mentioned that new stadium as well
see we know what you guys are up to in The States but I bet you never hear about what we are doing :)

It was a really good game but my team lost. Bummer!!! Now I guess I will be a Minnesota and Seattle fan until they play one another again. Then it is a flip of the coin. I'm originally from Minnesota so it won't be much of a toss up.

Daris

When LA had teams before, the city didn't support them. What makes anyone think it will be different now?

The difference now is this will be funded by one Billionaire, not the city. With cities paying 35 million for a bench warmer, you could break a large city. Now it will be on the back of the owner, as will the building of a new stadium.

The difference now is this will be funded by one Billionaire, not the city. With cities paying 35 million for a bench warmer, you could break a large city. Now it will be on the back of the owner, as will the building of a new stadium.

But will they support a losing team? St. Louis did. Both them and the football Cardinals. Even though they hated the owner. Won't take him long to rub everyone the wrong way, it's a gift he has.

The problem last time was we also had the Raiders and the Rams. Raiders were too rowdy for most folks, and the Rams moved to Anaheim, causing alot of turmoil because Anaheim is NOT Los Angeles, much to the chagrin of local folks. We have great support for a home team since now we are divided between San Diego, Rams, 49'ers and Oakland.

I personally loved the Rams, and was pissed when they left us. I even went to St. Louis for a game, but didn't have the same enthusiasm as I did when they were in my backyard.

Here is a pretty cool explanation, thanks to Wikipedia.

Professional American football, especially its established top level, the National Football League (NFL), has had a long history in Los Angeles, which is the center of the second-largest media market in the United States. Since the 1995 departure of the Raiders and Rams, Los Angeles had been by far the largest U.S. market without an NFL team. It was more than double the size of any other North American market to receive serious consideration for a team. The NFL and other professional leagues had multiple teams in Los Angeles between 1946 and 1994 (two prior NFL teams in 1926 were the first to represent the city in name but never played a game there), all of which originally played home games in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

In 1946, the Los Angeles Dons of the All-America Football Conference started play, lasting four years before folding with the demise of the AAFC. Also in 1946, the Cleveland Rams became the first NFL franchise to locate in Los Angeles. The Rams moved to Anaheim Stadium in 1980, and left Southern California altogether in 1995 for St. Louis. The American Football League (AFL) founded the Los Angeles Chargers in 1960, who subsequently moved to San Diego the following year. The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles in 1982, only to return to Oakland after the 1994 season.[1] There were problems with filling all of the 90,000-plus seats in the Coliseum to avoid a television blackout in the Los Angeles area.[1]

The lack of an NFL team in Los Angeles was an issue the league and the city had been working on to resolve since the Raiders and Rams left.[2] One key sticking point had been whether the Coliseum should be the primary venue for a new team, or whether a lower capacity NFL-specific stadium should be built in the area.[1] In November 2007, the then-Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa declared that the policy of requiring the NFL to relocate to the Coliseum would change and other options would be explored.[3]

On January 4, 2016, the Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers all filed formal relocation requests with the NFL to return to the Los Angeles metropolitan area. The proposals awaited approval from the league on January 12, where the league was expected to approve a maximum of two of the requests; however, when a vote took place the Inglewood proposal received 20 votes and the Carson proposal only received 12 votes (despite the Committee on Los Angeles Opportunities recommendation in favor of Carson). Eventually, the Inglewood proposal received 30 votes and Carson receiving only 2; meaning that, after 21 consecutive seasons without an NFL franchise, Los Angeles had finally acquired an NFL team. The Rams were approved to relocate back to Los Angeles, and the Chargers were given an option to join them; the Raiders also have this option as well, should the Chargers decline to exercise their option to relocate to the Inglewood site.[4][5][6][7] It is anticipated that the Rams will play seven home games at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum from 2016–2018 (as part of the deal, the Rams will also host one game per year as part of the NFL International Series), and would then move to their new stadium in Inglewood for the 2019 NFL season

A worthless pic taken last week.

20160110_144545_resized.jpg

But will they support a losing team? St. Louis did. Both them and the football Cardinals. Even though they hated the owner. Won't take him long to rub everyone the wrong way, it's a gift he has.

He's a sneaky snake and doesn't care about the Rams. The team was just an avenue to build his stadium in LA. That 1.8 billion stadium will host final fours, super bowls etc. Lose or not, the Rams don't matter to Stan. Come 2019, he's got his Disneyland amusement park.

Last edited:
The big problem is that sport's complex (and full shopping center I hear) is going to be placed in the center of Inglewood (or as we say, Inglehood) where it is not safe to be in after dark. It is only a few miles from where both Watts Riots began, and most people I know will avoid going there at all costs.

Latest posts

Back