What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone spotted a mountain lion in town here. I thought I saw one going across my back yard a few weeks back. I assumed I was mistaken. When I lived near KC, they were common.

Oregon has a lot of them and they're here on the coast too. Sightings happen once every 10 years or so. I've seen just one bobcat in my life and never have seen a mountain lion even will all my weekends in them thar mountains. I saw prints in the snow once. They are usually quite reclusive. ..........well, until they see pets in your yard.

I forgot where you reside zannej. We don't get what most consider "cold" here on the Oregon coast. Lows in the 20's are rare in winter. Highs are usually above 40 or 45 in the winter
Central Louisiana. Up until around 2014 or so it would only snow once every 20 years. I was there when it snowed in the late 80s. Then for the next snow 20 yrs later. Then it started snowing every year for maybe a day or two. It had been so rare they don't sell snow shovels or ice scrapers here.
On a completely different note, my brother has one single co-worker who is a jerk. She is a "red hat" who randomly yells at new employees, has an inflated ego, and behaves unprofessionally (but the rest of the staff are fine). So my brother found a passive aggressive way to get back at her whenever she's being nasty. He works at the fry station and there is a window he has to put the orders in for her to pick up. There is another machine in between her and the window so she has to lean over it & she's short. He found that if he puts the plate at the very back of the window (on his side) she has a hard time reaching and has to work harder to get it. His boss noticed he was doing it but didn't say anything and just laughed about it. Thus far, she hasn't said anything to him about it so it doesn't seem that she knows he's doing it on purpose.
Meanwhile, I tried again to fix the shower situation. Getting to the shutoff valve is a total pain bc the weeds are like a jungle. They are taller than me and I really need to get a machete and hack them down. I found that the PVC going in to the pump is leaking so I will have to patch that temporarily before I get a permanent fix. Shut the water off, pulled the valve stem back out, used pliers to get the screw & washer out, screwed it back on to the valve stem (bc both looked to be in good condition), put the valve body & escutcheon back on, put the universal spud adapter back on, attached the handle, but it didn't seem to fit properly. Tried turning it but it jammed and when it finally turned it was bc the spud came loose and the valve stem wasn't turning. I'll try a different spud (maybe the screws are messed up) or try moving it back a bit to see if it helps. If not, I'll have to pull it out again and see what the problem is. I need to make sure that the valve stem turns properly before reinserting it if I pull it out again.
I'm waiting for my brother to get home so we can go to the store together and get some supplies and food. Mom devoured the leftover stuffing (although she fed some of the chicken to her little dog instead of saving some for me).

I only saw mountain lions at the zoo. There was a cute little one named Lana that they used to walk around the zoo on a leash in Singapore. She tried to chase birds, small children, and when she was stifled too much she resorted to chewing on her keeper's boot. Bobcats though, we've see a few of them. My father once rescued a female that someone was selling-- caught her in a trap and broke her foot. He overheard the guy trying to sell her to someone who was going to have her killed, stuffed, and mounted. So my father offered more $ for her, made an enclosure for her, and took care of her while she was recovering. She was pregnant and gave birth to some adorable kits. They made the cutest little sounds. Sadly they got amoebic dysentery and died, but the mother was ok. When she was fully recovered we released her into the wildlife reserve.

Last edited:
Oregon has a lot of them and they're here on the coast too. Sightings happen once every 10 years or so. I've seen just one bobcat in my life and never have seen a mountain lion even will all my weekends in them thar mountains. I saw prints in the snow once. They are usually quite reclusive. ..........well, until they see pets in your yard.
The dangerous ones are the ones that have been pets. They won't avoid humans. Bobcats are common here. Mt Lions in KC. We also see bears here some.

We got bobcats galore. They act like they own the place. Mt lions very occasionally will come down off the mountains where there are at least 60 when its very dry looking for pets to eat.
Bears not so much, but tend to stay in the mountains surrounding the valley .
See lots of deer down here when its dry as well. Sometimes large muleys too but mostly whitetail.

We got bobcats galore. They act like they own the place. Mt lions very occasionally will come down off the mountains where there are at least 60 when its very dry looking for pets to eat.
Bears not so much, but tend to stay in the mountains surrounding the valley .
See lots of deer down here when its dry as well. Sometimes large muleys too but mostly whitetail.
When I lived two blocks from the business district, I saw two deer on the corner of my block. Almost hit one coming out of Pizza Hut's parking lot a couple weeks ago.

Same here. Saw a doe and 2 fawns walking down the middle of a road one block off the highway in town.

Zannej, we had 24 inches in snow back in 1968 right here on the coast. It was the most costly storm that Oregon has ever had. Inland had over 3 feet. All from this fast moving storm.
20 years later,I had 11 inches of snow on my deck, and for the next week and a half we never got above freezing. Coldest morning was 9 degrees. The coast rarely even drops down to 26. 35 to 38 would be more normal.
We get occasional dustings of snow and sometimes it's even enough to cover the grass. We don't even have snow every year. Seems we got snow more often when I was a kid.
(global warming) :D

I kid you not, if we get one inch of snow here everything shuts down. They close the roads, the schools get shut down, and people act like it's Ragnarok. Meanwhile my friends in New Hampshire had like 6 feet of snow and it's a normal winter day for them.
I was told we are supposed to have a very cold winter this year-- colder than before. I expect the possums to come visiting again (if the dogs leave them alone long enough). I don't know if it's gotten below 20 here in a loooong time (if ever). I hope it won't be too cold. I'm going to have to do something about the pump house and pipes. It used to be insulated but the damn mice and snakes got into it.
I've seen quite a few deer, some raccoons, possums, and armadillos. There are wild hogs around somewhere as well. Haven't seen the wild turkeys in awhile.
A cousin of mine who lives in California told me there are a lot of coyotes in his area. He was walking his little yip dog one day when a coyote ran out, grabbed the dog and ran off with it, yanking the leash out of my cousin's hand, and disappeared into the brush.
No coyotes here, but I still worry about my cats.

Meanwhile, I was going to have my friend help me with my plumbing but he had to go to the hospital bc he's peeing blood. Severe UTI apparently. He needs to lay off the sodas and drink water. He also needs to have less stress. He currently has 2 jobs and his grandfather thinks he's a slave. He moved in with his grandfather after his grandmother died so he could take care of the old man. Unfortunately, the old man had no respect for his health or sleep schedule. He'd start calling his phone or his fiance's phone at 2am, 6am, or all through the day. If neither of them answered he would go bang on the door and wake them up (didn't matter what time it was or if they had to work in the morning or had just gotten home from work). They couldn't sit down for 5 minutes to rest or eat without him hollering at them to go do something right then-- and at one point both of them were injured and weren't able to do stuff (they both injured their left arms in separate accidents around the same time). They finally had enough and moved back to their own house. So of course the grandfather constantly calls them and actually drives over to their house and honks his horn to wake them up. He even drives to where my friend works and starts telling him all the stuff he wants him to do for him. The dude seriously needs to hire a full-time caregiver and let them live their lives. He's constantly up in their business wanting to know where they are, who they are with, and what they are doing. He also used to go into their room and look through their stuff, open their mail, etc and butt in to their conversations. He's also been picking up my friend's daughter without permission and driving with her in the front seat without a car seat or seatbelt. Speaking of the daughter, it turns out her mother lied about her being expelled from school. She pulled her daughter out of school to make an excuse for quitting her job & bc her fat behind was too lazy to get up and take the girl to school in the morning. She lied to the doctor about the kid not being able to sleep so she's giving her sleeping pills. My friend found out and took her back to re-enroll her in school, but she's missed a couple months already.

Last edited:
Same here Zannej. We don't have snow plows ready and waiting and since people are not used to driving in the snow, it's safer to just keep the kids home. Too many narrow and steep roads. Temperatures might border on snow continuing as snow or changing to rain as the day goes on. For as few times as we get those conditions, best to play it safe.

AE2DAB10-49D9-40E5-A508-688AD7EB90D6.jpeg
C7E102FF-C5AF-48A6-98CE-BF181DA545FE.jpeg
I did a nice little grouted Lvt job this afternoon.

Latest posts

Back