What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kaufman was cool. It's a shame he got cancer. I saw the movie they did about him with Jim Carrey. I think it might have been lung cancer, but I'm not sure. I just know cancer sucks.

Today I made myself get up and do some cleaning. Washed dishes & cleaned litterboxes. I'd neglected one of the litterboxes too long and ended up having to scrub the hell out of it with disinfectant wipes. The box was for my brother's cat that he's supposed to clean, but he's too easily grossed out to clean litterboxes. He's always been a bit of a wuss about gross stuff. He won't touch a litterbox without gloves. I'll clean them bare-handed and wash my hands afterward.

I was prepared to make some shepherd's pie for dinner tonight (after giving mom eggs & toast for breakfast-- ok, my brother actually got the toast for her while I made the eggs) but she's feeling nauseous. I think side effects of the vaccine. She's resting right now but hopefully she'll be feeling better soon.

She called my sister and talked to her for a bit. I caught the tail end of the conversation. Apparently my brother-in-law wasn't feeling well.

My half sister found a picture I drew of our dad more than 50 years ago.

my dad.PNG

I never could draw faces Rusty. That's really nice. If I drew a portrait of someone, you would have no trouble at all telling that it wasn't a chicken or a donkey. I'll stop bragging now. 😁

I used to draw a lot as a kid. Stopped drawing for a long time (after my dad died) and have started to try to draw a little now. Mostly plumbing sketches. LOL. I do stuff in MSPaint quite a bit. I did my sketches of how I want my bathrooms to look and so forth. I don't know if those count.

Rusty, that's a nice picture. I don't know if any of my childhood drawings of my dad still exist. I was and still am terrible at drawing faces. I really need to get my dad's drawings scanned in before they fade more. They have already faded quite a bit. They are drawings/blueprint type of planning for our kitchen and stuff.

Today I went to the grocery store. They are still out of a lot of stuff but I was able to get some yogurt. Bananas were still terrible looking so I got some strawberry banana yogurt and some mixed drink with coconut, banana, orange, apple, and pineapple. Mom didn't like dinner last night so she didn't want the leftovers of it (I accidentally put too much garlic salt-- new dispenser has larger holes).

My un-neutered male cats are in rut. A few of them have been howling like they are going to die. One of them, named Biscuits, has been obsessed with my fuzziest blanket. He was biting it and humping it like crazy. I was reclining with my cat Boo partway on my chest while using my computer. Biscuits was to my left and was going at the blanket. I moved my hand and for some reason he spazzed out, yowled, let go of the blanket, and lunged at my hand. Boo immediately turned and slapped him in the face. A few minutes later he did it again. Boo charged over, slapped him twice, chased him away, and then came back and nuzzled my face. Hours later Boo was out of the room and Biscuits started it up again. He did the lunge at my hand and my cat Bethesda reached over and swatted him. I don't think she was defending me the way Boo was, I think she just found his behavior annoying. My brother really needs to get these cats fixed. He promised he would pay for it since he brought their parents home without permission, but he's waiting to get his stimulus check.

As an aside, has anyone heard of a product called Advantech X-Factor? I think the mfr is Huber or something like that. They make Advantech wall sheathing and roof sheathing. It's their new product-- close to 3/4" thick and has a waterproof membrane. Supposed to be for subfloors. One of the stores up in Alexandria sells it but I don't know the price. It is probably expensive, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the price if I used it in my laundry room and 2 of the bathrooms. There is a video of a guy building his house & using the new product. He also did something interesting-- put rigid insulation across the joists under the subfloor. Is that a good idea? If it is, I'm wondering what type would be best to use for that. Even if I don't get the fancy flooring stuff, I wonder if doing insulation underneath would help or would it end up squishing down unevenly over time? Or would I install it so it went mostly between the joists?

I've never heard of that rigid foam idea between the joists and the subfloor. I'd find some kind of insulation forum and ask ther if it's something you're thinking of. I'm sure there are things that are really important like sealing the seams with foil tape or other methods to keep unerhouse moisture in check.
I bought a replacement faucet at the habitat store today. It looks to be brand new and it cost me five bucks. I think it says Kohler on it. Nearly identical to the one on my bathroom sink. I measured my copper lines a while back and they were 3/8".
Today, I bought 3' of 3/8" copper tubing and some female couplers to solder on as extensions, to mate up with the new valves I bought a few weeks ago.

I discovered why I don't like plumbing.
3/8" copper tubing has an OD of .500" 🤔
The valve has a 3/8" compression fitting and for some silly reason those measure 3/8 of an inch. 🤔
The pipe diameters are called nominal...... Whatever that means.
It means the actual size is 1/8 of an inch larger than what it is called.

I'm going with plan B...... Longer braided stainless lines instead of solder together connections.

In a dark sky preserve, white lights are prohibited. But I need to see the keyboard. In consideration of other astronomers I built an enclosure. I took a pair of blue camping tables and stacked them on top of one another. To keep the top one from sliding off, I clamp 2x4 blocks on the bottom table. They have holes for the table legs. Then I made a shroud to cover the whole thing.

Attachments

• 45878C0F-3E7B-4AC6-ADDD-FD4C12E8B665.jpeg
    45878C0F-3E7B-4AC6-ADDD-FD4C12E8B665.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 13
Hey Daris..... The green stairs I was given pictures of a short time ago. I stopped by to take a look at them in person today. It has five steps and then a landing, then a second landing and five more steps, then other landing and three last steps. I pulled the corner of the carpet back and boy was I surprised. Was that some expensive lime green carpet or what?
I'm guessing 1960s because that's when the house was finished.

Attachments

• PXL_20210308_213306072.jpg
    PXL_20210308_213306072.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back