What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got off the phone with an inspector for the state of AZ and it’s the same here. See how simple that was, looks like I don’t have to ever touch a toilet again. Now if only moving furniture was illegal…
Told them that if I wanted to move furniture I would go to work for Atlas Van Lines.

Told them that if I wanted to move furniture I would go to work for Atlas Van Lines.

Furniture sucks but I’ll do it because I do get some sweet jobs. Unlike doing carpet or sheet vinyl, with floating floors I don’t necessarily have to empty the room. I can shuffle things side to side. I do draw the line between moving furniture and moving stuff though. My customer a couple weeks ago got mad because I made her empty her china hutch before I moved it. She was also pissed off because I didn’t make her bed after I took all the sheets n stuff off so I could flop it around the room. I don’t hook up electronics either regardless of whether I am the one who disconnected them or not. Sometimes you just gotta stand firm and say no.

It's perfectly reasonable to take everything out of a cabinet before moving it. Don't want the stuff toppling over and breaking (also making the thing heavier). I tried to make things easy for the flooring installer when we had to get the flooring done in our house many years ago. Our stuff hadn't been shipped from overseas yet so that made things easier. I pulled up the carpet & pad in the bathrooms & tossed them out and even scraped up residue on the floor. I also removed all of the broken parquet flooring from the hallway, laundry room, and guest bathroom. All we really had in terms of furniture was a desk and a couch. I couldn't move either of them. The desk was very heavy, but the installer didn't complain. He knew our situation and how our tenant had screwed us over. He even helped us when we were trying to put insulation in a wall where the previous owners had removed a front door and put built-in-shelves. I do think some of it was him being neighborly since he is our neighbor. Really nice guy.

Looks like we might get hit with a hurricane in a few days. I'm hoping the storm will die down instead of build up. I really do not feel like messing with having to get all the water buckets refilled and get a bunch of MREs or something. I don't want to have a power outage and be without water and AC with this heat.

I got spoiled. All I did the last 10 years were unoccupieds. Carpet and pad in the place when I got there, no vinyl needed. VCT was inthe bathrooms and kitchens and they installed it. . Had 4 apt. complexes and one house flipper.

It's perfectly reasonable to take everything out of a cabinet before moving it. Don't want the stuff toppling over and breaking (also making the thing heavier). I tried to make things easy for the flooring installer when we had to get the flooring done in our house many years ago. Our stuff hadn't been shipped from overseas yet so that made things easier. I pulled up the carpet & pad in the bathrooms & tossed them out and even scraped up residue on the floor. I also removed all of the broken parquet flooring from the hallway, laundry room, and guest bathroom. All we really had in terms of furniture was a desk and a couch. I couldn't move either of them. The desk was very heavy, but the installer didn't complain. He knew our situation and how our tenant had screwed us over. He even helped us when we were trying to put insulation in a wall where the previous owners had removed a front door and put built-in-shelves. I do think some of it was him being neighborly since he is our neighbor. Really nice guy.

Looks like we might get hit with a hurricane in a few days. I'm hoping the storm will die down instead of build up. I really do not feel like messing with having to get all the water buckets refilled and get a bunch of MREs or something. I don't want to have a power outage and be without water and AC with this heat.
Most contractor insurance won't cover antiques or breakables. I did move a grand piano once and an 8 ft. slate pool table. Once was enough for both.

Most contractor insurance won't cover antiques or breakables. I did move a grand piano once and an 8 ft. slate pool table. Once was enough for both.

That’s my favorite line to use is my liability insurance won’t cover me touching such n such. I get that stuff out of the way right away that way if the customer freaks out I go home before I’m into the job.

Only carpeted walls a couple times, the biggest was in a new church. The contractor was a church member so he put 2 x 4s in the concrete wall where the carpet went up to. That way I could staple it up while the glue dried. Then he put a fancy trim board over the raw edge. Every thing he did made it easier for the other contractors. Spent a whole year doing only churches. Most were a real PITA.
Every member of the board would want it done different.

We have been following the story of a brave young man. He is now 12. At age 11 he was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. He has fought it for a year, numerous chemos, experimental trials, the end is almost near. His father took him from the hospice last week to ride roller coasters because he asked. His father is the weather man at a local TV station. Three of the KC Chiefs including QB Patrick Mahomes went to visit him last week because he is a huge Chief's fan. Thousands of local people have become attached to him. We donated some money, could not afford a lot, so they could take him on trips. They got a lot of donations.

Only carpeted walls a couple times, the biggest was in a new church. The contractor was a church member so he put 2 x 4s in the concrete wall where the carpet went up to. That way I could staple it up while the glue dried. Then he put a fancy trim board over the raw edge. Every thing he did made it easier for the other contractors. Spent a whole year doing only churches. Most were a real PITA.
Every member of the board would want it done different.

The old man just asked me today if I’ve done carpet squares. Said he has a huge church that needs done. Ugh.

Started doing electrical. The outlets are 50 years old and stained from tobacco. The wiring is 14 gauge but he tapped into one outlet next to my bed to run wire to the garage lights. Perfect opportunity to use Wago Lever Nuts. But still lots of wires. 3 white, 3 black, and 2 red for the switched outlets. Plug ground. Went and bought some 15 amp commercial outlets today so I don’t have to deal with tamper proof crap. Going to replace outlets in living room bath and kitchen. Not doing it all in one da

Yep cus that means cove base and I gotta watch what I say. Just shoot me. I’ll make sure I’m too busy laying floating floors to even think about doing a church. I got a Cush gig goin right now. I’m not gonna ruin that for a church.

Yep cus that means cove base and I gotta watch what I say. Just shoot me. I’ll make sure I’m too busy laying floating floors to even think about doing a church. I got a Cush gig goin right now. I’m not gonna ruin that for a church.
I was putting carpet in a new church with some floor outlets. I asked the preacher if they were hot and he told me no. Well, I started trimming out the holes and melted the blade off an orange handled knife. My helper grabbed me and told the preacher he best leave. I would have hit him.

Randy, I see your governor is now mandating masks outdoors. Is she completely nuts?
No, its 100% political. Financial organizations like data. A college in Washington state told them this current outbreak should peak between the end of this week and the end of next week.
How convenient for our outgoing gubner to miraculously save us all from an untimely demise by timing thos mandate at a convenient time
......film at 11:00 (cant tell you which day) 😁
Viruses have peaks and valleys. I don't have a clue as to how they are predicted. Interesting tho.

Just before lock down I was asked to go with salesman to see why the glue was still oozing up between the planks in the toilet
When we got there salesman pushed the planks down and all this white stuff came up like water mixed with the glue. The owners of the houses rep asked why would the layer lay over a wet floor? See blame the layer :)
Maybe there was a leak from when the plumber hooked up the toilet???
We left and now the plumber will be paying for the vinyl plank replacement after he takes the toilet out, let the floor dry out, relay new vinyl planks then he goes back to re fix the toilet pan
This is why we do not touch plumbing. If a plumber cant get it right what show does a layer have?:)
Also I am pretty sure even the house owner is not covered by the house insurance if he does any plumbing work, electricity in his own house here.
Years ago, I recall fitting three planks that were under the toilet. Once fit, I set them aside, then put a 1/4" bead of silicone around the flange area and a couple of stripes where the front an back of the toilet would rest on the floor, then reinstalled the planks, then set the toilet on place temporarily. (overnight)
That made sure the "floating floor" was solid so the toilet couldn't rock.
Might have been glued together Pergo. I always leave a 1/4" gap around the toilet flange, then fill the gap fully with silicone.

Started doing electrical. The outlets are 50 years old and stained from tobacco. The wiring is 14 gauge but he tapped into one outlet next to my bed to run wire to the garage lights. Perfect opportunity to use Wago Lever Nuts. But still lots of wires. 3 white, 3 black, and 2 red for the switched outlets. Plug ground. Went and bought some 15 amp commercial outlets today so I don’t have to deal with tamper proof crap. Going to replace outlets in living room bath and kitchen. Not doing it all in one da
I've never seen one of those lever nuts in person but I've heard of them.

Years ago, I recall fitting three planks that were under the toilet. Once fit, I set them aside, then put a 1/4" bead of silicone around the flange area and a couple of stripes where the front an back of the toilet would rest on the floor, then reinstalled the planks, then set the toilet on place temporarily. (overnight)
That made sure the "floating floor" was solid so the toilet couldn't rock.
Might have been glued together Pergo. I always leave a 1/4" gap around the toilet flange, then fill the gap fully with silicone.

I did not lay that job
It was another layer who I dont know

I got that you didnt do that one. I wonder how a trained, professional licenced plumber screwed up.
I've probably set a couple hundred without any issues.
....I'm a dumb old floor butcher, so what do I know? 😁

Latest posts

Back