What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started a new house today. All stain grade but the view from my desk is lovely as usual.
View attachment 17289View attachment 17290
They need to get a different contractor, that floor is way, way, way too clean.
This is the kind of job that a good guy gets, and you're one of them. They don't hire hacks on jobs like this, somebody knows to hunt you down and twist your arm.

Started a new house today. All stain grade but the view from my desk is lovely as usual.
View attachment 17289View attachment 17290
They need to get a different contractor, that floor is way, way, way too clean.
This is the kind of job that a good guy gets, and you're one of them. They don't hire hacks on jobs like this. Somebody knows where to hunt you down.

It was Habitat ReStore Friday today. I stopped in, looking for a paint stirrer for the drill. I had a little bit of filler to mix. Well they were all out of them so I did my usual wandering through the store and came up this. Not a too shabby. It's probably 90% full.

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_023037510.jpg
    PXL_20230729_023037510.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
That reminds me, I need to pick up some lacquer thinner today. It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve been to a box store so you know I’ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket. I’ll see if I still feel the same way about that after I fill up my van today. Might just say heck with it and go to the Waffle House for a pecan waffle instead.

We went to a few garage sales and out to eat breakfast. Dean, who is 85, was taking a break. He has 100 yards of carpet to do this weekend. Crazy. He told me that he hopes he can install until he dies.

Not cool enough to be in a gang.

My buddy used to do this all the time then ask you if you dropped something. I did that to the guys at work today and they just looked at me like I was stupid, which I probably am but somebody out there as to have gotten a chuckle outta this.

IMG_2361.png

That's the handsign for "asshole" in Italian sign language.

Sorry I haven't been posting. Between internet problem (caused by electrical issues) and this damn heat, I've not had the time or energy. Mostly haven't been able to focus.

First the power started acting up and making the APCs shut off. Which in turn borked the modem and then it was having trouble and we could barely use the internet.

Friend came over to take a look to replace the outlet-- which was just loose in the wall.

Before he came over I did major cleanup in the kitchen. Discovered the floor near the back hallway is destroyed (it was the parquet flooring). My brother spilled a bag of flour, never picked it up and water + cat pee + dog pee turned it into something nasty. Cats thought it was litter. Dogs decided they should pee on it too for some reason. 80% of the trash was my brother's trash but he won't pick up after himself. His ONE chore is to pick up and take out trash but he won't do it. I know, I've harped on that before. It's so frustrating. Anyway, I powered through until I ran out of trash bags.

Went to pick up more and brought my friend over. I didn't get to cleaning up under Mom's desk-- partially bc I'm too fat to squeeze under there and clean properly & she's got so many wires I can't just use a broom. Plus I was busy with the kitchen and forgot. Anyway, friend found that the electrical box was recessed over an inch into the wall and there is zero slack on the wires. Couldn't use the decora edge thing bc wires couldn't be pulled out enough to stab in. I had to grab another outlet I had in a drawer. Used wood screws to secure the outlet so it doesn't move. As far as I know, there haven't been anymore problems with electrical. Although, we really need to move that stuff to another breaker. Flipped like 30 breakers before I found the right one. Turns out it covers half the kitchen and the living room. So the tv & its accessories, computer, monitor, phone, 2 refrigerators, & a freezer are all on one breaker.

Friend tried to change some switches out but I forgot they were 3-pole and I only had 1-pole switches. But first we played the "which breaker is this on" game where I shut breakers on and off until he was supposed to holler that it was off. But no, it never went off. Apparently they are on two different breakers somehow. Ended up having to flip the master switch- and man, that thing has a strong spring. You get to the halfway point and it slams shut. Slammed my knuckles into the damn panel hard. Anyway, after that my friend was not sure about how to make things work so I told him to abort and finish another time. Said if he wasn't 100% confident it was safer to tape off the wires (in the outlet that busted-- switch literally broke off of it) close it back up, tape over the hole in the cover, and wait until I had the correct 3-pole switches.

On the way out I had to fight off the wasps that keep trying to get in. Its consistently been over 100 and the wasps keep congregating at gaps at the top and side of the door where cold air is coming out. I pulled my arms into my cardigan sleeves a bit and used them like helicopter blades to spin around and swat wasps and clear a path for my friend to get out.

I've sprayed those mofos so many times but they keep coming back. Need a repellent.

Anyhoo, I got the new switches but my friend is having kidney issues and not feeling well. Urine test showed possible renal failure. He's waiting for an appointment on Thursday.

Got to 103 yesterday and I've been absolutely exhausted and overheated so I've been having to nap every couple of hours.

Currently waiting to take Mom for bloodwork (for regular checkup).

Sorry I haven't been posting. Between internet problem (caused by electrical issues) and this damn heat, I've not had the time or energy. Mostly haven't been able to focus.

First the power started acting up and making the APCs shut off. Which in turn borked the modem and then it was having trouble and we could barely use the internet.

Friend came over to take a look to replace the outlet-- which was just loose in the wall.

Before he came over I did major cleanup in the kitchen. Discovered the floor near the back hallway is destroyed (it was the parquet flooring). My brother spilled a bag of flour, never picked it up and water + cat pee + dog pee turned it into something nasty. Cats thought it was litter. Dogs decided they should pee on it too for some reason. 80% of the trash was my brother's trash but he won't pick up after himself. His ONE chore is to pick up and take out trash but he won't do it. I know, I've harped on that before. It's so frustrating. Anyway, I powered through until I ran out of trash bags.

Went to pick up more and brought my friend over. I didn't get to cleaning up under Mom's desk-- partially bc I'm too fat to squeeze under there and clean properly & she's got so many wires I can't just use a broom. Plus I was busy with the kitchen and forgot. Anyway, friend found that the electrical box was recessed over an inch into the wall and there is zero slack on the wires. Couldn't use the decora edge thing bc wires couldn't be pulled out enough to stab in. I had to grab another outlet I had in a drawer. Used wood screws to secure the outlet so it doesn't move. As far as I know, there haven't been anymore problems with electrical. Although, we really need to move that stuff to another breaker. Flipped like 30 breakers before I found the right one. Turns out it covers half the kitchen and the living room. So the tv & its accessories, computer, monitor, phone, 2 refrigerators, & a freezer are all on one breaker.

Friend tried to change some switches out but I forgot they were 3-pole and I only had 1-pole switches. But first we played the "which breaker is this on" game where I shut breakers on and off until he was supposed to holler that it was off. But no, it never went off. Apparently they are on two different breakers somehow. Ended up having to flip the master switch- and man, that thing has a strong spring. You get to the halfway point and it slams shut. Slammed my knuckles into the damn panel hard. Anyway, after that my friend was not sure about how to make things work so I told him to abort and finish another time. Said if he wasn't 100% confident it was safer to tape off the wires (in the outlet that busted-- switch literally broke off of it) close it back up, tape over the hole in the cover, and wait until I had the correct 3-pole switches.

On the way out I had to fight off the wasps that keep trying to get in. Its consistently been over 100 and the wasps keep congregating at gaps at the top and side of the door where cold air is coming out. I pulled my arms into my cardigan sleeves a bit and used them like helicopter blades to spin around and swat wasps and clear a path for my friend to get out.

I've sprayed those mofos so many times but they keep coming back. Need a repellent.

Anyhoo, I got the new switches but my friend is having kidney issues and not feeling well. Urine test showed possible renal failure. He's waiting for an appointment on Thursday.

Got to 103 yesterday and I've been absolutely exhausted and overheated so I've been having to nap every couple of hours.

Been worried about you Z! I was about to send out a search party!

If the wire in the box is too short, it may be a bit of a pain, but you could drill a 1 inch hole through the stud, and mount a new electrical outlet box on the opposite side of the stud.
Once done, you could feed a foot of electrical wire through the hole and into the new box. Though the wires would be short in the old box, there ought to be plenty of room in the existing box to connect that short wire to.
All you would be doing, is adding on a length of wire and pigtailing it into your existing box and the other end of the wire would go through the stud to connect to your new outlet. You could leave plenty of wire on that side to fold after wiring up your new outlet.
The old outlet box would simply have 3 connections capped with wire nuts.
You want to put a metal or plastic cover plate over that side. You wouldn't want a sheetrock over and hide an electrical connection box.

Last edited:
I hope the heat and 🐝 let up for you Z ….hang tough, be safe ! Now back to our silliness 🤪

C. J. I miss that show Malcolm in The middle, I had an older brother like that 🫤

I bet the new maintenance man at the apartments I work for would understand your co-workers joke ! He has a different ( sick ) sense of humor, that I occasionally possess, 😝

Slow bus hint : 😜 ….. the hand sign means ass- hole in Italian and the sick sense of humor guy is asking if you need to bend over ? …… possible SITUATION ! 😳😱😜 …. Ok silliness is over and keep an eye on that guy 🫣

Latest posts

Back