What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not looking forward to the water getting colder in the bidet attachment this winter.

I had to adjust the thermostat manually (thanks to Youtube for a guide) so I could have auto mode on. By default, only heat, cool, and emergency heat are available in the menu. So I went through and changed it so Auto is in the menu and now it will switch from heat to cool and vice versa depending on the temperature.

Cleared stuff out of the way in my bedroom so I could move my old stinky computer back in to use as bait for the cats. Secured the basket on top of the UPS better with flat bungee tie downs & got the plastic shield in a better position. Used gorilla sticky putty to make some plastic drawers stay stacked on top of another set (they kept sliding and falling off). Seems to be working ok thus far. Found the light for the back door so I know what size mounting base it needs. Found a mounting base that is also an electrical box that I can use for it-- designed to go over vinyl siding. Cooked for Mom. Cleared stuff in the hallway/kitchen so I could move the cat tree back over so its not poking out in the way. Cleaned the toilet. and now I'm about to get some sleep.

Tomorrow is trash cleanup day.

No power at todays job site, the whole damn house has been built with no temp power service. Cordless nail guns, cordless miter saw and a generator for when you get tired of that cordless BS.

The Metabo with a 2ah battery weighs in at 7 something pounds. Luggin that brick around all day gets old real quick.

The Paslode weighs in at 4.2 pounds. For comparison the pneumatic Paslode weighs in at 3.9 pounds so that’s about as good as you’re gonna get without draggin a hose behind you. Plus you feel like a man when it’s poppin off. You damn near wanna say ‘Fire in the hole!’. These gas cartridges are worth their weight in gold. You need one cus you didn’t feel like stopping and picking some up last night? Sure I got some but it’s gonna cost ya.

IMG_3807.jpeg
IMG_3806.jpeg
IMG_3810.jpeg
IMG_3808.jpeg

IMG_3809.jpeg
IMG_3805.jpeg

Veterans Day tomorrow, or is it Saturday, hope you’re not working either way!

IMG_3811.jpeg

How many shots do to get from a Plasode "battery"? Brad nailer or finish nailer.

Paslode gas guns will pop off somewhere between 1000 to 1200 shots per cartridge. Same for the framing gun. You can buy 1k count boxes of framing nails that come with a gas cartridge and it’s guaranteed to fire every single nail before the cartridge dies.

Paslode gas guns will pop off somewhere between 1000 to 1200 shots per cartridge. Same for the framing gun. You can buy 1k count boxes of framing nails that come with a gas cartridge and it’s guaranteed to fire every single nail before the cartridge dies.
Wowza!!! 🤯. I never thought it would do 10% of that.
If ya shoot ten of them real quick, does it sound like a drive by?

Wowza!!! 🤯. I never thought it would do 10% of that.
If ya shoot ten of them real quick, does it sound like a drive by?

It does sound cool and you get a hint of smell of fuel after you fire a few off. Makes you say shit like ‘I love the smell of gas first thing in the morning’. In a hollow closet or a crawl space it will make your ears ring a little, or a lot depending, when she pops so don’t forget to wear hearing protection.

How about safety glasses? How many of you out there that are still working, or even if you’re just tinkering in the garage, how many of you wear safety glasses? It’s a legit question. I worked with a one eyed carpenter in Phoenix, he went to work one day with both eyes but didn’t return home in the same condition😳 I gladly wear my PPE these days.

I have regular old glasses so I can see, but I'll use a full face shield with my angle grinder. Yeah, I should get safety specs...... 🥴 I don't feel comfortable with no eye protection.

I'm gaining on my corner work table. It's gonna have two drawers. Nothing fancy. One for paper, pencils and ruler. The other for drill press stuff. The drawers are going to be 2 1/2" and 3 1/2 inches by 10 inches and 18 or so deep. They're going to be shallow so I have. More space under the top.
The top is pieces of 3/4" plywood I had around. The table top frame is super stout and flat as a laser can make it. I think the finished surface is going to be 1/4" tempered hardboard with a banding of hardwood to protect the edges. So far I haven't had to buy anything.
The hardboard is around $35 I wish they made it 3/8" thick.

Attachments

• IMG_20231111_205054078~3.jpg
    IMG_20231111_205054078~3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I ended up not doing cleanup because I woke up sick. Brother got sick at work and brought whatever it was home with him so the rest of us are sick now. Microwave died thursday night and Panasonic was closed on Friday and all weekend. I e-mailed them. Purchased the microwave Nov 13, 2022. Watch them claim I didn't contact them soon enough & warranty is over. Pretty sure its the magnatron that is bad and the magnatron is about $110 (don't know what shipping is). Trying to see if they will just send me a magnatron. The only productive thing about me is mucus. I'm producing a ton of mucus.

Microwaves are a dime a dozen here. The siding guys buy one for each job then they just leave it in the garage when they’re done. I asked them about that and they said they pick them up for $10 to $15 at the flea market.

IMG_3821.jpeg

Last edited:
My microwave was over 2cuft and had a dial and some stuff. It was great, but the magnatron crapped out in it. Trying to get a new one. Cheapest one I could find locally that wasn't complete trash was a 0.9cuft microwave for $70.

Don't trust getting appliances from flea markets.

Still producing mucus. Couldn't sleep last night. finally got to sleep this morning but 5min later the phone rang and woke me up. Scammers from India.

I'm a bit on the cranky side today. Exhausted but all this mucus is keeping me from sleeping. Tried nasal cleanser, nasal mist, blowing my nose, clearing it out with a tissue. ugh. Also took medicine but its not working. My nostrils hurt, my sinuses hurt, my throat is sore, & my ribs are sore.

My brother had to call in work today. He barely made it home last night and had trouble staying upright while on his shift last night. Fortunately, he has a good boss who cares about employee health.

Mom seemed to be doing a little better. I still need to go to the post office and get cat food though. We're out of dry food and the kitties will riot if I don't feed them soon.

It does sound cool and you get a hint of smell of fuel after you fire a few off. Makes you say shit like ‘I love the smell of gas first thing in the morning’. In a hollow closet or a crawl space it will make your ears ring a little, or a lot depending, when she pops so don’t forget to wear hearing protection.

How about safety glasses? How many of you out there that are still working, or even if you’re just tinkering in the garage, how many of you wear safety glasses? It’s a legit question. I worked with a one eyed carpenter in Phoenix, he went to work one day with both eyes but didn’t return home in the same condition😳 I gladly wear my PPE these days.
I wear the safety glasses and dust masks when I need them at home and when I was working. I didn't like wearing them all day on site's that required all the unnecessary gear to be worn 100% of the time.

LVT install in Dotonbori, Osaka...........something like 8PM with the streets jammed with tourists these guys were cutting in the entry around very neat looking floor access panels

Attachments

• 20231110_204842.jpg
    20231110_204842.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231110_204910.jpg
    20231110_204910.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231110_204853.jpg
    20231110_204853.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231110_204905.jpg
    20231110_204905.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
An installers worst nightmare. Those look great.
I was very impressed how similar floor access panels were found everywhere you look. Their sidewalks almost always had tons of gas, water, telecom, manholes and electrical access very well integrated-------flush to the surface and decorative to match. Particularly decorative were some of the manhole covers with elaborate designs. In addition to that were drainage grates of all varieties that were well integrated to the walkways and streets. Pleasing to the eye and perfectly functional. As I was walking I was picturing all the crap underneath and I was just really impressed at how well that was done.

Here’s your alternative to 1/4 round or shoe at tubs and door thresholds for floating floors. Best part is it matches perfectly.

Spent half the day making scribe pieces to bump up against tile and door thresholds n such for a floating floor installation. The builder was going to caulk the gap and call it a day. Some of the gaps were a solid 1/4”+ and not even even. I didn’t even install the floor and I still couldn’t have that 😂 so I offered this as a solution. Why not, right. There’s worse things I could be doing.

I start by ripping off the tongue and groove of multiple pieces of flooring while leaving the micro bevel on so you gotta have factory edges for these pieces. I then rip the planks down to 3/4” wide with one side of the rip piece being the factory edge. I then rip the 3/4” rip pieces down to 1/8” thick or a smidge less. For engineered wood floors I’ll use my planer to bring the pieces down to 1/8” thickness but one of these floors was an SPC and it damn killed my table saw blade so no planer use today. I can only imagine how loud that would have been running through the planer with dull blades. My ears are ringing already.

I pre clean all surfaces that I’ll be adhering the scribe pieces to. After that I use pure silicone and some 1/2” 23 gauge pin nails to fasten the scribe pieces. I got maybe 4 hours into 4 doors, 3 tile showers and a tub and that’s with me milking it. A milked nut is a happy nut!

IMG_3824.jpeg
IMG_3825.jpeg
IMG_3826.jpeg
IMG_3827.jpeg
IMG_3828.jpeg
IMG_3829.jpeg
IMG_3830.jpeg
IMG_3833.jpeg
IMG_3834.jpeg
IMG_3835.jpeg

The builder was going to caulk the gap and call it a day. Some of the gaps were a solid 1/4”+ and not even even. I didn’t even install the floor and I still couldn’t have that 😂 so I offered this as a solution. Why not, right. There’s worse things I could be doing.
CJ , you are THE MAN ! That looks really nice 👍

Latest posts

Back