What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gang, Latest project, vented range hood. I hired a friend to help. The plan was to use a 3.25 x 10 vent to the front of house. Path was blocked by stud holding up bulkhead above cabinets. Ugg! Next option was go up into attic. 2x4 ran straight across where vent needed to go. Not structural so he cut it out. Has to run across town to return items not necessary and get round vent. We ran it over to soffit vent. 6 hours and $300 in labor. I figured all totaled, $800 for time and materials.

Attachments

• 89E4CD04-404F-4EDC-A54F-3AD4B88EB938.jpeg
    89E4CD04-404F-4EDC-A54F-3AD4B88EB938.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 5A4C265F-AA5C-485A-B102-C44D166BF51B.jpeg
    5A4C265F-AA5C-485A-B102-C44D166BF51B.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 19
I retire in June. Looking forward to it.
I hope you have a good hobby. I've been retired basically for 17 years and totally give up the carpet this last year. Basically I'm so bored I can't stand it especially in the winter. So I took up scroll sawing to pass the day and I can work in the basement.

I built a hobby bench with cabinets. My plan is to build scale models. Might get an airbrush and take it to the next level. I’ve got some home improvements too I want to get to. My deck was burin 1978 but I’m hiring someone for that. I want to build a coffee station and a new kitchen table. And since my cataract surgery made my vision so clear I now hate the color I picked for the upstairs.

I built a hobby bench with cabinets. My plan is to build scale models. Might get an airbrush and take it to the next level. I’ve got some home improvements too I want to get to. My deck was burin 1978 but I’m hiring someone for that. I want to build a coffee station and a new kitchen table. And since my cataract surgery made my vision so clear I now hate the color I picked for the upstairs.
I thought you got lost. Good to see you back.

Don, that's some fancy stuff you did round that stairwell. Curious why the molding continued down by the baseboard. Looks good just curious.
Thanks
The molding along the bottom of the baseboard is actually matching quarter round.
I almost didn’t see this because you jumped to a different thread

My beagle gave me a scare. Found a lump on his hind leg. But it’s a benign fatty cyst. But he has an infection causing his right front and back paws to swell. He will be on antibiotics for 3-8 weeks. But he’s eating

Tom, I spy a flat panel cathedral style door on the cabinets. LOL. If I'd had the knowledge and skill back when Dad was making the cabinet doors, I would have helped him make that style. Everyone in the family likes that style.

My oldest cat gave me a scare. Something told me to go check the shed to see if the float rod jammed again (it did) after midnight. I went and checked and happened to move the flashlight around to see how bad the overflow was. I nearly jumped when I saw my cat half dead sitting in a couple inches of water getting splashed and not meowing or responding. It was 34°. I grabbed him up and held him against me, wrapped my arms around him and brought him inside. Toweled him off and put him on a heating blanket. But he didn't want to sit on anything warm and he kept getting up and wanting to drink water. I was like "You've just been sitting IN water and you're thirsty?" He was majorly dehydrated. He absconded from my room but my brother found him sitting in the field around dawn. Fortunately, he's still alive. Got him to the vet as soon as they opened. Infection and kidney failure. Vet hopes it's just a kidney infection and that his kidneys will work better after the infection clears. Unfortunately, he won't eat anything. He also sat in cow crap that had gotten urinated on by cows so he reeks. He was growling and fussing when I tried to clean him up. He got IV fluids a few hours and still has an IV catheter in just in case he needs more fluids. He probably will since he's got no appetite and can only seem to drink a little. I've tried his favorite foods. chicken, canned food, etc. No interest. I might go grab more canned food to see if he wants fresher stuff when I go to pick up my rx tomorrow.

I am trying to think of a solution for the rod thing and it occurred to me that if the top of the rod could only move up and down and not sideways, it might stop jamming. So, if I can rig something hanging down from the ceiling holding a pvc pipe in place nice and firmly, I can have a pvc pipe hang down straight and have it be long enough that the to of the rod will still be inside when it is at its lowest, then it might stay straight. It doesn't take too much force to keep it steady. Even if I have to use a clear plastic tub or something to put over the setup and cut holes for wires and a hole for the pipe and have it so I can remove it when stuff needs to be messed with, it might help. Just need a way to secure it. But I'm thinking even a board somehow suspended down might work. I need to figure out the best method. Beats taking the mechanism apart and trying to weld stuff together and have to wait for welding stuff to cure. Although, I might even do a combo of those things so that if for any reason the rod tries to move sideways, it will be kept aligned. I can put vaseline at the top of the rod to keep it from having too much friction.

CJ, LOL! I'd never heard of that one before. I initially typed "herd". LOL.
Cows got their sweet feed yesterday so they were happy.

Today I got up early, helped my friend move a couch (as in transport from one house to another- and carried in the cup holder middle section), got Boudin at the local quick stop, went to Walmart to get RX and canned cat food, back home to give cat meds and fed Mom boudin. The cat took the meds without problem. He was grooming himself while sitting on Mom. Apparently he slept on her last night and she was petting him. It seemed to help. He got up to drink water. Then he wanted into the kitchen to drink from the big water tub (it's a dish tub that I put water in so I can fill water bowls less frequently and the cats love it). I cracked open a can of his favorite food and he was hungry. He got nervous about other cats so I put him back in the bathroom with the door closed so he could eat in private/safety. He didn't eat too much but eating something at all is better than nothing. He's currently curled up on Mom's bed.

I unjammed the float lever again. Having to do it 2x a day now. Someone suggested that raising the switch might give the top less room to play. I suppose we can try that.

Just broke up a cat fight. Namir got out and was going at it with Senator Snugglebum again.

I think its time for a nap.

It's 65cents for a 5.5oz can of cat food. The 13oz cans used to be 50cents. Hell, there are 5.5oz cans of the more specialized food that are over $2 each.
Price of everything has gone up. The boudin balls at the quick stop are now $1 each. They used to be $1.50 for 3.

Mom woke me up from my nap bc she was hungry again. I had trouble getting out of bed. Left leg was stuck & tangled in a blanket. Right leg was under a different blanket with a cat that wouldn't move the hell off and kept climbing back on every time I pushed him. Jar of krill oil vitamins rolled sort of under me as I was trying to sit up. I went to sort of toss it aside but the lid opened and the gel capsules spilled out. So I had to get them picked up and put back in the jar. Then I grabbed my socks to put on and somehow got my arm tangled in a blanket while scooting to the edge of the bed and lost the socks. Couldn't find them so I said fuck it and put my shoes on without them.

My bladder decided to be haunted with the ghost of Billy Mays (but wait! There's more!) every time I thought I was done so I spent a lot longer than I'd thought. Boo came to see me and wanted to be petted while he ate more food. I thought he was going to follow me out but he decided to go back to he food instead. Got mom her food and am sitting up in bed waiting for my lower back and head to stop hurting.

Latest posts

Back