What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My department gave me a retirement party today. The President of the university gave me a plaque recognizing me for 31 years of service. I’m humbled. So many great people!
31 years is a rarity these days. Huge accomplishment Tom.
It's got to be a very strange with every day feeling like Friday at 5:00.
........it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Ta Da! Finished product. The stars are nailed on and I didn’t fully drive the nails in all the way so the stars sorta jingle if you tap on the flag. Don’t know why but I find that to be kinda neat.

View attachment 14818View attachment 14819
That looks great! I like it a lot.....

But you know what I like better?
The psychotic donkey from hell with the blue eyes! Now that's a work of art!

I got all the ducks in a row now. Employer health insurance will continue at $185/month including prescription plan. Medicare with supplement plan G and part D will cost $312/month. Pension paperwork filed. And almost nothing above can be done online for setting up the bank transfers!
And I start social security in August.
Plans for retirement: new deck (2023 probably) to allow lumber prices to stabilize or the economy to crash…
Reno the bathroom with a new floor, new baseboard, paint, and plumbing under dual sinks. I think the valves throughout the house need replaced. The ones behind the washer for sure!
Going to use Coretec stone tiles on floor. Again, a 2023 project.
And I’m going to walk Hunter a lot more!

This place is awesome. I imagine there’s a little meth and a three way love triangle going in somewhere in this park. The 11:30 live animal show just started. Viva Joe Exotic.
07BE34D4-6B60-407B-B3ED-9A29DDF796E7.jpeg

Been on this for a week and a half. Complete demo down to the I joists and rebuild. Old handicapped shower leaked and destroyed the whole bath.
Had to be curb less so I recessed the shower 3/4 and built everything outside of it almost 2".

The old shower was mounted on the back wall and sprayed right out the front. Had a cheap click together originally and a lot of water got under it. The advantec subfloor was mush. I left plumbing alone as I'm not a licensed plumber but mounted the shower head so it'll keep water contained.

View attachment 14778View attachment 14779View attachment 14780
Oh wow! Is that tile that looks like planks? Having the showerhead facing out from that back wall was a very bad idea. Some people don't think about practical things when designing bathrooms. They don't think about where floor joists are or where plumbing vents will need to be.

I had an ablaison on my back on Wednesday- burned off a nerve. No back pain to speak of now i have more ambition than ever, well at least the last couple of years. Yesterday mowed 3 lawns, replanted a plant from my mothers funeral in 96, trimmed my shrubs out in front. Lets see what today holds.
At first I misread that as "abrasion" and thought you'd injured yourself. Is the ablation something like the RF treatments? My father had to get RF treatments for his back pain.
That’s fantastic, share more info about the location of pain and the procedure. My back pain has hit a new level. It’s constant and now traveling down to the pelvic area.
I don't know about the ablation procedure he had, but I know there is something called RF that kills the nerves so they don't feel pain. I've also had people tell me that the Spineworx back board helps with alignment and pain. I haven't ordered it yet but I'm considering it.

CJ, that flag looks great.

I'm absolutely exhausted still. Doc wants me to have my blood checked to see if I need to up my thyroid med dose. I noticed the crash happened right after starting a new generic med. He said its possible it isn't absorbing properly because it's different than what I'd been taking.

Been trying to wrangle the pups and deal with stuff here but have been sleeping over 12 hours per day bc of having no energy. Also might have a bit of an ear infection.

My windows from Lowes FINALLY arrived at the store. So, now I have to go pick them up. Waiting on my brother to finish his video games so he can help me lift them.

I got all the ducks in a row now. Employer health insurance will continue at $185/month including prescription plan. Medicare with supplement plan G and part D will cost $312/month. Pension paperwork filed. And almost nothing above can be done online for setting up the bank transfers!
And I start social security in August.
Plans for retirement: new deck (2023 probably) to allow lumber prices to stabilize or the economy to crash…
Reno the bathroom with a new floor, new baseboard, paint, and plumbing under dual sinks. I think the valves throughout the house need replaced. The ones behind the washer for sure!
Going to use Coretec stone tiles on floor. Again, a 2023 project.
And I’m going to walk Hunter a lot more!
I would run like hell from Cortec Stone. Maybe even buy a used top fuel dragster if the price was right.
Some jobs have been replaced for the third time, promising "we have the issues fixed"
........again,
...not kidding this time ...really.

That said, maybe they have.
If you buy it, do so from a Carpet One retailer. Have them install it. They will guarantee the installation and the product for...... pretty much forever.

I would run like hell from Cortec Stone. Maybe even buy a used top fuel dragster if the price was right.
Some jobs have been replaced for the third time, promising "we have the issues fixed"
........again,
...not kidding this time ...really.

That said, maybe they have.
If you buy it, do so from a Carpet One retailer. Have them install it. They will guarantee the installation and the product for...... pretty much forever.
Really? I used 400 square feet of Coretec 9x72 in the upstairs area and its been great. Is this stuff that much different?

It's a totally redesigned cortec. The core material itself is very brittle. It's nothing like the other standard version.
It's hard, and I suppose it resists indentations extremely well. The problems were the material unlocking itself causing separations. The material had a slight crown to the center of it. I went to inspect a job that had this issue. I knew nothing about this new material at the time. The separation area was in an area or a space that didn't seem logical to me. It was in a 4 ft wide doorway like opening between the dining room and kitchen. 12 ft away, and a foot and a half away from the wall another row was coming apart. It was by a dining room chair but also 3 ft away from the chair in an area that isn't really walked on much. There are two people that live in the house and they're only there for half the year.
Anyway the plan was to replace the area from the point where it was separating, actually one plank back from that and also the entire dining room since it's all connected.
A few months later I went down with material in hand, ready to start and found more of the planks had separated and this time in front of the sink.
It was decided to replace it all so more material was ordered and when that material came in, it had issues too, so it wasn't installed.
I would bet if you did an internet search, problems with cortec stone or cortex Stone separating, you'll find some chatter about it.
Maybe after the 3rd attempt that correcting the problem they actually have it corrected. When I brought up this issue, don, one of the other installers that hangs out here was quite familiar with the issues himself and said he'd never touched the stuff again.
I'm sure many many millions of dollars were spent by cortec, replacing failed installations. Not just that the reformulating their product and correcting the issues.
If you buy and have the product installed by Carpet One retailer, you will wash your hands of any blame if it has problems.

It's a totally redesigned cortec. The core material itself is very brittle. It's nothing like the other standard version.
It's hard, and I suppose it resists indentations extremely well. The problems were the material unlocking itself causing separations. The material had a slight crown to the center of it. I went to inspect a job that had this issue. I knew nothing about this new material at the time. The separation area was in an area or a space that didn't seem logical to me. It was in a 4 ft wide doorway like opening between the dining room and kitchen. 12 ft away, and a foot and a half away from the wall another row was coming apart. It was by a dining room chair but also 3 ft away from the chair in an area that isn't really walked on much. There are two people that live in the house and they're only there for half the year.
Anyway the plan was to replace the area from the point where it was separating, actually one plank back from that and also the entire dining room since it's all connected.
A few months later I went down with material in hand, ready to start and found more of the planks had separated and this time in front of the sink.
It was decided to replace it all so more material was ordered and when that material came in, it had issues too, so it wasn't installed.
I would bet if you did an internet search, problems with cortec stone or cortex Stone separating, you'll find some chatter about it.
Maybe after the 3rd attempt that correcting the problem they actually have it corrected. When I brought up this issue, don, one of the other installers that hangs out here was quite familiar with the issues himself and said he'd never touched the stuff again.
I'm sure many many millions of dollars were spent by cortec, replacing failed installations. Not just that the reformulating their product and correcting the issues.
If you buy and have the product installed by Carpet One retailer, you will wash your hands of any blame if it has problems.
Thanks for the warning. Do you have a product that would work well in a bathroom? Just need 60-70 square feet

A family friend mentioned he's fixing up a rental house he inherited. Tenants hadn't paid his dad during the pandemic even after moratorium was over. They then refused to pay up after his father died & he had to get them formally evicted after they refused to leave. They were ordered to pay back rent and some other fees but haven't. So, they owe over a year of rent and their big dog peed on the carpet so much it soaked into the subfloor. He had to pull all the carpet out himself and has to hire someone to do the floor. I recommended vinyl plank and linked him the plywood rated for subfloor. He wants to redo all the plywood now that he has the house level. I've also offered to paint.

Tom, I am no expert, but unless they have made laminate completely waterproof now, I would not put it in a bathroom. Vinyl plank, sheet vinyl, or some sort of tile might work. I personally don't like tile because of grout but they make some nice vinyl plank and vinyl tile now.

Has Jon posted here lately? My brain is not cooperating with me. I'm exhausted still. I did some cleaning and picked up my windows for the laundry room yesterday.

Maybe the stone can be glued down instead of just floating it.
Again, maybe they got he issues fixed. Installers around here don't want to mess with it.
I'll do some thinkin.
I’ve got plenty of time before I start that project. I hate linoleum. Never looked right to me. If I can cut up the old linoleum, I think I can get down to the 1/4 inch plywood underneath. I don’t think the adhesive has any grab in it anymore. When I made the transition into the bathroom, I could see it was loose, stapled down at the fringe.

Yesterday..... Where do you start?
I'm not the carpet installer you are, but I'd start in the middle, and work both ways, until I got to the angles, then I'd like to (if possible,} dead man the width, then finish the length stretches. But, I'm just looking at the drawing, besides, I know YOU know what you're doing, Lol, known you too long.

Latest posts

Back