What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's "rain"

snow.jpg

I won’t bother you with pictures of palm trees and sunshine then cus that’s just rude.

Flew out to Scottsdale this morning and busted the old man outta the hospital. It’s gotta be my Karma cus this is the second time and he was about as happy to see me as I was when he came and bailed me out many moons ago. He even cried a little, I’m sure I did too😂. First order of business was an enchilada at the old man’s favorite Mexican restaurant.

Here’s a picture of my boy, my 83 year old child😂
IMG_4017.jpeg

We had major thunderstorms and tornado warnings. Wind was blowing pretty hard.

I picked up a new pressure switch, some dielectric grease, drove up to Lowes to get a new pressure tank (guys on plumbing forums said it sounded like pressure tank problem and the tank is 10 years old). I'd already tried putting air in the tank but the pipes wouldn't stay together and all the air blew out of it. Passed a kidney stone on Lowes bathroom. A pipe fell off the shelf (from above my head) directly on top of my foot (vertically). Still hurts and still has a mark where it landed hours later. Ordered Chinese takeout. Picked up my friend and brought him out during a lull in the storm. He installed the new pressure switch and put the pipes back together (I got the Oatey rain or shine pvc cement that could be put on wet pipes). I secured the power cable for the pressure switch and put air in the old pressure tank again. 28psi. Waited for cement to cure a bit and then turned the power back on. Water is working for now.

Brought food to Mom while friend was installing the switch. He came in to see her briefly while she was, in her own words, shoveling green beans into her mouth.

Took friend home and surprised him with his favorites from the Chinese place so he was happy.

Had power outages briefly.

Still got an annoying cough and my foot is sore but I'm relieved that the water is working for now.

I’ve been welding floor the last couple weeks . I got a Family Dollar / Dollar tree contract that follows a specific plan for each store . They use cove and cap six inches welded PVC for bathrooms and a box of carpet tile at the door. The rest of the job is cove base around the perimeter. The bulk of their floor is polished concrete.
I also got a United Methodist Church room full of multi color marmolette also thermal bonded at the seams . This room had some sort of failure we just used old stock and did the one room and an entrance repair .

PS the original job in the church costs 600 k was done by some German dudes I tried to upload a video that shows some awesome freehand stuff . These guys were good for sure

My helper took the bathroom photos for proof we did the job and the painter butt hole sanded the ceiling and there is drywall dust in my corners 🤨 plus one or two aren’t even trimmed or glazed so don’t look at that lol

Attachments

• 963FB804-1972-4912-A05A-AD1BFDC27B60.jpeg
    963FB804-1972-4912-A05A-AD1BFDC27B60.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 01AC0E88-D902-476B-9688-B50DB4EB1D64.jpeg
    01AC0E88-D902-476B-9688-B50DB4EB1D64.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 66DF8FCF-C30A-42D6-88CA-01F466ED809A.jpeg
    66DF8FCF-C30A-42D6-88CA-01F466ED809A.jpeg
  • AF32ECFE-994C-4AA8-966A-E55E5366735B.jpeg
    AF32ECFE-994C-4AA8-966A-E55E5366735B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • C1ADB489-637E-48A8-995B-1A72BE32E613.jpeg
    C1ADB489-637E-48A8-995B-1A72BE32E613.jpeg
  • 9465EEEC-7A3C-4EC2-9B1B-56E283A1D699.jpeg
    9465EEEC-7A3C-4EC2-9B1B-56E283A1D699.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • F3EE849C-D7B3-4BA3-B90D-BFAE81C47E14.jpeg
    F3EE849C-D7B3-4BA3-B90D-BFAE81C47E14.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 50B6477D-7B82-4637-9EDC-146DD2C98CCE.jpeg
    50B6477D-7B82-4637-9EDC-146DD2C98CCE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 674AA8BC-94D3-4CBC-9B08-A6484011E7A1.jpeg
    674AA8BC-94D3-4CBC-9B08-A6484011E7A1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I’ve been welding floor the last couple weeks . I got a Family Dollar / Dollar tree contract that follows a specific plan for each store . They use cove and cap six inches welded PVC for bathrooms and a box of carpet tile at the door. The rest of the job is cove base around the perimeter. The bulk of their floor is polished concrete.
I also got a United Methodist Church room full of multi color marmolette also thermal bonded at the seams . This room had some sort of failure we just used old stock and did the one room and an entrance repair .

PS the original job in the church costs 600 k was done by some German dudes I tried to upload a video that shows some awesome freehand stuff . These guys were good for sure

My helper took the bathroom photos for proof we did the job and the painter butt hole sanded the ceiling and there is drywall dust in my corners 🤨 plus one or two aren’t even trimmed or glazed so don’t look at that lol
I'm so glad I never got into commercial work.
That said, there wouldn't be a better way to become good and efficient installing vinyl and especially cove work. Very nice.

I’d rather do nothing else - clean slate please and no dogs peeing on my pad/tools/carpet/floor/patch/etc
I never saw a clean slate on a commercial job.
Never got dinner, thank you's, Christmas cards, tips. The commercial reward is gotter done. It's always other workers walking with sandy boots across an area you just vacuumed. Heat and or lighting isn't on, sweeping up after drywallers electricians and plumbers.
You tell them the job will take 8 days, they tell you ya got 5 because they're moving in on Saturday.

Never got dinner, thank you's, Christmas cards, tips. The commercial reward is gotter done. It's always other workers walking with sandy boots across an area you just vacuumed. Heat and or lighting isn't on, sweeping up after drywallers electricians and plumbers.
You tell them the job will take 8 d
Anything resembling a clean slate is rare from my lifetime in commercial flooring. But it does sort of happen now and again. On bigger, better contracts you will ESTABLISH acceptable conditions with the Super/GC because he needs you to flush through his project like corn through a goose. When you can make him understand what's holding you up you might get him on your side against all the trades who are dragging their feet and lurking around into YOUR schedule.......breathing YOUR air---so to speak.

One thing I can recommend is to explain to the Super that when he gives us lousy conditions my boss isnt going to double the crew to make HIS deadline. We will in fact cut the crew back in half or even down to a single man as required. Give me 25K square feet and I'll get 4-5 men. Give me less and you get less. I decide how many men you're going to have on this site unless my boss decides money is no object and goes over my head.

I cant think of a single time the boss decided to send more guys out on the job than I called for-------because of pressure from the customer. Sometimes we'd want to keep from laying off quality guys so they'd get pushed out there and I just had to make the best of it.

You tell them the job will take 8 days, they tell you ya got 5 because they're moving in on Saturday.
Some of the reasons I hated residential new construction too. Drywall guys sanding above a clean floor. Electricians trimming wires on my pad. Mud tracked on new pad.
I put new underlayment down in a new kitchen. Sometime after I left for the day, painters came in, laid cabinet doors on my new underlayment and spray painted them. I would probably be serving life if I had caught them.

That sounds like a problem with scheduling the work from the general contractor's end. Need to schedule it so that workers aren't getting underfoot or ruining the work of others.

My guts don't like me today. Not sure if its from the mucus or the metformin or both. Feeling pretty cruddy though. No energy yesterday and slept most of the day. Today I'm still really tired and my stomach feels blech.

I inhaled a bit of crumbs while eating the other day and it made the coughing and mucus worse.

But Rupert is snuggled up nice and cozy with me right now. Itsy and Gravy Jones are approaching and I think it means they want me to put out food.

Last edited:
The painters electricians plumbers and other associated trades were supposed to be done, and gone. They ALL leave or I leave take your choice.
I just did a living room and hall in 50 oz plush . She was 92. Her dog peed on the terrazzo multiple times while I was drilling and gluing the tack strip , there was no place to put the furniture because she had 92 years worth including the flakeboard stand alone cabinet in the kitchen that had to be strapped together before it could be moved to make room to get the kitchen furniture outside so we could put the heaviest pieces in the kitchen . On day two of a one day job, the dog peed on the pad several times and at one point she yelled out the door (two points for being able to yell at age 92) “buddy bit me” referring to the “he’s a rescue” dog that eventually peed on the new carpet several times before I left.
One extra bedroom has all her grandsons crap piled in it, her other extra bedroom belonged to her daughter that died and is now a museum no one is allowed in , additionally the only place to park was inside the gate which meant each time I parked or moved my 16’ box truck there was this ritual with the dog and the lady and the gate and the truck and her car and and and so I brought lunch on day two .
I much prefer commercial work and some of you don’t know how to throw a trowel at plumbers

The painters electricians plumbers and other associated trades were supposed to be done, and gone. They ALL leave or I leave take your choice.
I just did a living room and hall in 50 oz plush . She was 92. Her dog peed on the terrazzo multiple times while I was drilling and gluing the tack strip , there was no place to put the furniture because she had 92 years worth including the flakeboard stand alone cabinet in the kitchen that had to be strapped together before it could be moved to make room to get the kitchen furniture outside so we could put the heaviest pieces in the kitchen . On day two of a one day job, the dog peed on the pad several times and at one point she yelled out the door (two points for being able to yell at age 92) “buddy bit me” referring to the “he’s a rescue” dog that eventually peed on the new carpet several times before I left.
One extra bedroom has all her grandsons crap piled in it, her other extra bedroom belonged to her daughter that died and is now a museum no one is allowed in , additionally the only place to park was inside the gate which meant each time I parked or moved my 16’ box truck there was this ritual with the dog and the lady and the gate and the truck and her car and and and so I brought lunch on day two .
I much prefer commercial work and some of you don’t know how to throw a trowel at plumbers
Apartments were nasty but at least no one else was in there including tenants.

I could do a couple days commercial. 😁
There are some jobs to refuse.
...just say it's too large and you mostly do repair work.

50mph + winds here today, glad I don't have to drive in it. Temp dropping below 0 for a few days also. Winter like we used to have.
View attachment 18123
I just got back home from Florida a couple days ago. I scheduled 3 weeks there but left 5 days early because they were calling for hurricanes and tornadoes. So I left there to come home to 70 mph winds & power outages!!! And it’s starting back up tonight. Should’ve stayed my ass in Florida. At least it’s warm there.

Latest posts

Back