What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, When Peter Falk was younger he was playing baseball and he didn't like the call the Umpire made so he pulled out his glass eye and said "You need this more than I do!". Btw, if you like Peter Falk, you should watch the movie "Murder By Death".

Dementia patients can sometimes become extremely violent so sedation is necessary to keep them from harming themselves or others. They will kick, bite, choke, punch, etc and worse. I have friends who worked with dementia patients and have the scars to prove it.

My uncle lives in an assisted living facility. He chose to move there mostly because his late wife needed more care than they could give at home. His daughter lives in TX (he lives in Virginia) and his son suffers severe migraines. It's not that the offspring don't care about their parents, but not everyone is able to do it. It can be tough. Especially when people need specific medical care or when they have dementia and become violent. My uncle broke his hip recently so he has some people come to check on him and help him and he gets to go down to the cafeteria/dining area when he wants. They can also bring food up to him if he requests. But he likes to be around people. He told me he was eager to get back to his gardening.

I would hate being in a facility with other people since I don't like people.

I pretty much slept the last two days. Couldn't stay awake for a full 30min at a time. Absolutely exhausted. Feeling a little better today and able to stay awake for longer but am still very tired. Still coughing up mucus but it feels like I got it out of my chest for now. My brother went with me to the store today and helped get groceries in. He's off work for a few days because they are renovating.

Mom's blood sugar was 39 when I checked it earlier. The other day it got to 25. Had to give her lots of sugary stuff to eat. She's feeling better now. I made mashed potatoes with rotisserie chicken. Ok, it was storebought but I heated them up and mixed them together.

My cat Boo wanted food so he came up to me and swatted at my face until I got the hint. He didn't make contact, he was just swinging his paw near my face to say "Hey hey hey!" Then he sat on my lap and wanted cuddles after he ate. He's been trying to get me to go outside and walk with him. At least I know that he, Itsy, and Princess care if I'm sick. He'd try to help me if I was dying. But I mentioned I discovered that Fippy would just steal my food like he did when I was choking. Princess would at least wait for me to die before taking my food I think. :p Not Fippy though. LOL.

Dementia patients can sometimes become extremely violent so sedation is necessary t
Good point Z, just hope they don’t abuse the practice, because you could be having a bad day and then here comes nurse Ratchet with a needle.

I pretty much slept the last two days. Couldn't stay awake for a full 30min at a time.

I wonder if you have ‘ Long Haulers’ after Covid ? Supposedly in some infected people the immune system is unable to recognize the lingering virus. I wonder if getting the booster would help the immune system become reintroduced with the bad guys and go on the attack ?
Best of luck hang in there

The local state mental hospital used to keep patients zonked out so they did not have to deal with them. But it is closed now.

Those kinds of places still exist but they’re not necessarily a mental hospital. Skilled nursing facility is what they’re called now and they’re still just as horrible of a place to be. Go tour one and you’ll sign up for cliff diving lessons after you see the conditions in one of those places. I’ve done a few floors in some and I say heck with that, when do we go cliff diving. The trick is you have to go cliff diving before you actually go nuts and get stuck in a skilled nursing facility.

Speaking of looney bins, I love the crazy people here. They just get turned loose on the streets here. I was walking around the neighborhood the other day and some batshit crazy dude had 2 red apples and a half polished bottle of Jack and he was talking to the block wall at the bus stop. I know he was crazy because red apples suck.😂

The senior center here is real close by and they provide lunches to those with less than or no means. I see my fair share of homeless people when I walk around the neighborhood because they’re coming here for the free meal. I’ll say hello and even have a conversation with them if it comes to that. They’re human beings and I’ll show them the appropriate level of respect because of that rather than cross the street to avoid them. That’s something the old man, and prolly 99.99% of the people here, won’t do. He’ll ask me how do I know that person. I don’t, dad, but I can still show them the appropriate amount of due respect that they deserve as a human being. I’ve been shit on and looked down upon enough because I’m a working class dude, I don’t need to perpetuate that sort of mentality even if you’re in a worse situation in life than I am.

Came down from my sisters in Dameron Valley, Utah to Vegas for Surfaces.. Probably be my last Surfaces in my lifetime.
Tell the local boys at Bond I say hi 👋

Daris,
Make it a good long lasting memorable one, 😀 but you’ll be back one way or another, if not on the surface floor next year, then above and beyond its limitations, through your career legacy of PRIDE ! ( professionalism, responsibility, integrity, dependability, EDUCATION ) 🙇‍♂️ 🥇

Havasu, we had a friend (who has since passed) who could never get the name right and always called him "Flippy". But he was named after a gnoll in the game EverQuest who would always charge at the gates of the city of Qeynos and get killed either by players or by npc guards. Fippy Darkpaw. Personality is a bit fitting given how cranky he is.

MSLI, I'm sure some facilities do abuse the practice and others don't dispense the pain meds when they should and don't give a rat's ass about the patients. The local nursing home is awful. Unless the patient has family constantly coming to visit, they don't even change their sheets or bathe them. But the dementia thing can really suck. I had a friend who quit her job to be a caregiver for her mother & the mother's dementia got bad. She would slap my friend, scream at her, say really horrible hateful things & basically hated her. Couldn't even remember her daughter's name but remembered that she blamed her for her other daughter's suicide and always called her "bitch". She got to the point where my friend just couldn't take care of her anymore-- kept getting confused and refusing to take meds. Was combative, etc. So she put her in a nursing home. Within a week her mother "fell" and "broke her back" and died. Her mother was still able to walk around just fine but it was her mind that was gone. So I've always suspected foul play on that one. As for Covid, not sure. I took Paxlovid which is supposed to reduce the chance of long Covid. I suspect it's RSV or the flu or one of the other viruses going around. I'd been on the mend until my brother came home sick with some virus again. I'm actually feeling better today. Mostly tired though. And its raining and nasty outside.

CJ, I agree. I don't know why people look down on the homeless or impoverished people. I had a history teacher talking about how he kept seeing them and thinking "Why don't they get a job" and I said "Maybe they had one and got laid off. Maybe they do have a job but something bad happened. Maybe there was a flood, fire, hurricane, or some other disaster that took their home. Maybe they got sick and lost their jobs. Once they have no home its hard to get a job because they need an address. You never know what someone is going through or why they are on the streets" and he said he had never considered any of that. I've met some people who just don't have the mental capacity to keep a steady job. Not that they are dumb, but that they are erratic, can't focus, and have issues that make them unemployable. My best friend's Mom is like that. She's not dumb and she's a hard worker when she does work, but she is unreliable and her mind is all over the place. Granted, she's a drug addict, but there are people who got off drugs who still have mental problems. There are people who make a lot of bad decisions and then there are people who have bad luck. They are still human beings with feelings.

Got woken up by the weather alert on my phone at 5am. It scared my cats and dogs. Thunderstorms raged all night and one of the dogs, Princess, tried to burrow underneath me. The thunder and rain helped me sleep but I woke up sweating like crazy. I no longer feel like complete garbage, but the flooding isn't going to clear before my doctor appointment so I need to reschedule. If I get myself in gear enough today I think I'll fix my towel bar. Brother pulled it halfway off the wall because I didn't use anchors on one side.

Had to go to the grocery store to get milk. This was my road after the water had come down from the flooding.
1706129608903.png

Tell the local boys at Bond I say hi 👋

Daris,
Make it a good long lasting memorable one, 😀 but you’ll be back one way or another, if not on the surface floor next year, then above and beyond its limitations, through your career legacy of PRIDE ! ( professionalism, responsibility, integrity, dependability, EDUCATION ) 🙇‍♂️ 🥇
Thank you Mike, very much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back