wood Refinishing question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handyflooringpros

If someone tried to refinish a floor and clearly didnt do a great job with the drum sander , would you be able to use an orbital sander to sand it smooth or is a drum sander with the right operator the only option ?

Jeffrey are you in over your head AGAIN?:D

Your answer is YES in most cases. Those drum sanders can get a guy in deep trouble - fast.:rolleyes:

Bud,

So can I use a orbital ? My buddy said the drum sander isn't really hard to use just keep moving it . I feel more confortable using an orbital . Upon inspection of that floor I can see waves in it , which tells me somebody tried to sand it before .

If by "orbital" you are talking about a large floor sander with an orbiting sanding plate then yes it should work. It just depends on how severe any existing ripples may be. A plate (flat) sander will load quickly with existing finish so a proper coarse-sandpaper would be required at first.

Those drum sanders are tools that require a guy to have experience with one of them before he uses it for the first time.:D:D:D

1] Does the floor have a finish on it ?
2] Are they drum marks , or scratches from the rotary ?
3] If the floor has waves in it , it is most likely from the drum sander .
4] they would have to be sanded at a 45 , then straitened out with the drum sander .
5] they sell a open cut sand paper that won't clod on you .

The floors looks painted . Yes I think they are drum marks . I am not experienced in using a drum sander . I don't want to use an orbital sander if it's not going to work and take all day . How do you sand it at a 45 ?

I agree with Bud . You can do more damage then what is there now .
Have you given it any thought to hiring a guy who sands for a living ?

Drum sanders take at least a year to get decent with them . especially those 8" toys you can rent .

Cutting at a 45 is a art in itself . You still haven't said what kind of marks are in the floor .

Can you post some photos ?

I completely professionals will do this in a better way, Same thing happen with our wood fencing. Professional will refinish it properly and give a new finish to the product.

Any non-retard can probably find a youtube video showing how to use a drum sander. Running the big machine is far and a way the easiest part of sand and finish. Edger work is much more demanding in terms of both skill and physicality. Hell, I'd be a sand and finish guy right now if I could get 50% and just walk back and forth behind a big machine.

Latest posts

Back