Wood Subfloor Moisture test before installing hardwood floors?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saladin

Hello Everyone, i wanted to know if it is necessary to check a moisture level on a wood subfloor before installing hardwood floors?

There should be no more than a four percent difference between the subfloor and the hardwood for strip flooring. If using plank flooring (3" and wider) there should be no more than a two percent difference.

Do you have installation instructions for the product? They should also include acceptable temperature and relative humidity ranges as well as many other requirements.

Thanks. That was really helpful. I do not have any information on the product installation but i can request from the manufacturer web site. Basically, it is the same procedure for the slab, isn't it?

I really recommend getting the installation instructions, as well as maintenance instructions, from the manufacturer. Without following them, you'll basically have no warranty.

Concrete slab moisture testing is completely different from moisture testing for a wood subfloor. Meters should only be used as an indicator of where to place your test on a slab. I trust relative humidity testing of a slab more than calcium chloride tests.

When wood/porous product is involved, ALWAYS check the moisture. I've seen not doing so completely destroy plans, project, and budgets for certain individuals. D:

Latest posts

Back