Yard Work

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeAntonetti

In an ad I called a contractor that does grading, yada yada, I assumed my yard was flat but after tree removal with a track loader it’s very rough. So he came out looked it over and prior to locating topsoil the labor to dump qty10 18yd truckloads boxblading it, labor would be @ 6k $, for 4 acres, wow, another DIY project I guess. He hasn’t called back from locating topsoil, a rarity around here.

Attachments

• 1BC1CB1C-292D-441E-9EE1-83D5FB5E5BC2.jpeg
    1BC1CB1C-292D-441E-9EE1-83D5FB5E5BC2.jpeg
    290.1 KB · Views: 28
I’m not that good with a box blade, definitely not efficient. Been thinking through various methods. I filled in big gullies and some holes that when hit with mower severe jarring of my back would occur. Can’t be healthy for the body with the violent jolting. Watched some YouTube videos of smaller areas.

the pro said he saw a lot of topsoil nearby he was going to check on, I said I don’t want it to be toxic from dredging a lake or something. A local stone yard said 25$ a yard plus delivery.

so when a customer says their floor looks flat, I can relate cause my yard looked flat.

I had several potholes in my yard that would really bounce the mower and scalp the lawn. I filled them in with dirt, mulch, manure or whatever I have extra of. As the fill compacts and sinks down I would have to eventually top it off. 4 acres may be a bit much to do that with. My driveway needs grading every year and that’s when I rent a tractor with a box blade. Surprisingly easy to figure out and get a feel for.

In an ad I called a contractor that does grading, yada yada, I assumed my yard was flat but after tree removal with a track loader it’s very rough. So he came out looked it over and prior to locating topsoil the labor to dump qty10 18yd truckloads boxblading it, labor would be @ 6k $, for 4 acres, wow, another DIY project I guess. He hasn’t called back from locating topsoil, a rarity around here.
4 acres is a lot of a do-it-yourself project. I don't know what the process would be, but getting (renting) some type of tractor with a tiller attachment behind it would turn it all up into a fluffy mess. Then you could go over it with a compactor type attachment, then smooth it all out with a blade.
......buy a used tractor to do your work and then sell it when you're done. Just find a tractor with a power take off attachment that would work with attachments available from a rental place.
..... Or pay the guy a bunch of bucks.
I don't have enough energy in my body to even comprehend for acres of anything.
If I win the Powerball on wednesday, I'll float you some money. 😁

I tried to take it from you and I would lend you # for a Tinker shop, or like the sharks take a royalty. Sound advice though.

Attachments

• CC006BE1-4C06-4A60-B8A1-21D2FB892C49.jpeg
    CC006BE1-4C06-4A60-B8A1-21D2FB892C49.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 21
I just buy one $3 ticket each week.
I think I calculated the odds of winning one time based on the fact that the ticket or the paper thickness is .04 of an inch. If you put the papers on edge, .....not end to end, the row of tickets would be 19 miles long. In other words if you grabbed a block of tickets one foot long, you're of a ridiculously small.
That said, somebody does eventually win one. No, I certainly don't expect it to be me. 😁
It's fun to dream figuring out how you would give it all away. I don't really need 200 million. I could purchase a roof for the high school or redo the football field with new turf. I can set up a scholarship fund.
It would truly be fun giving it away.
.......no, not all of it. I need to buy a small yacht and maybe 1,000 acres of land out in the wilderness to build my dream cabin on. 😁

Latest posts

Back