A new apprentice?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go with your gut instinct. Will taking him on cost you money by slowing you down or make you money if you can keep him busy enough as he learns?

The problem..if it is a problem ...is that it takes a few months to even know if he's got what it takes.
I'm having a beer while I think about it.....

Yeah, well that's the other thing Jon.
Right now, I could do with the help, but in 3-4 weeks who knows??
I think it's just too spasmodic to commit to it.

Government will pay a good chunk and give him money towards tools. Interview him first and asks some no brianer questions, you know common sense stuff and see if he passes that first...........I do have a interview questionare thingy somewhere Ill see if I can track it down. We need to teach our trade and you old timers are the ones to do it, dont be so stuborn and think to the future when you dont want to be lugging those heavy rolls around.

Last edited:
Government will pay a good chunk and give him money towards tools. Interview him first and asks some no brianer questions, you know common sense stuff and see if he passes that first...........I do have a interview questionare thingy somewhere Ill see if I can track it down. We need to teach our trade and you old timers are the ones to do it, dont be so stuborn and think to the future when you dont want to be lugging those heavy rolls around.

I'm torn.
It is certainly worth considering.
Think I need to think on it.
We all know the trade is running out of good installers.
I reckon I have enough left in the tank to train one more......
Maybe it's a good time to do it cos we all have time to spend teaching a youngster...
Thinking....

This old timer can retire in Feb next year and you young ones will be paying my pension :D

Hehe...I've got a ways to go before I can retire...
I don't mind contributing to the pensions of 'old timers' who have done their share..
It's the young ones who either choose to do nothing, or have babies as a career that boil my blood....
Why should we foot that bill

This old timer can retire in Feb next year and you young ones will be paying my pension :D

I wish you and my old man would take on apprentices, your skills arent taught these days and they will eventually go to the grave with you. I was taught old school and then learnt new as I went along and I can tell you the old way is the better way. Just need to pick the right people :D

What do you people mean that the government will pay part of the wages for an apprentice? This I don't know anything about!

We had a fellow in the other day wanting to be a helper, and I am looking for his phone number. He talked to the boss - ugh?? - while I was on the phone with a customer, but he seemed to have some gumption, knowledge and experience.

We are so short on people around here to take over when these older guys leave, it isn't even funny. I'm thinking about making a school myself. :D

Tia

It's the New Zealand goverment who will subsidise the wages...mostly for school leavers I understand.
Probably not much help for you US based people!

Jon recently posed about how you guys are helping us out.............. so how bout sending us your apprentices and paying their way.......... you know, another gesture of friendship. :D

Latest posts

Back