Any similarities here

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the thought process is that if we 'meddle' correctly, there might be one less dictator, and one more appreciative group of people that want to live in some sort of democratic system so that they have more control over their own lives and destiny. Do you think that they would be appreciative of our help, or hate us because we offered assistance?
The trick is deciding whether helping them will eventually influence them to be a better player in the world. The approval by Obama to assist the rebels was made prior to the chemical weapons being found............ he just keeps dragging his feet deciding what level of assistance to give them. It's certainly not US troops on the ground. That wouldn't be good and has never been suggested.
If.......and I do mean if the rebels would be better off gaining control and ousting Assad's current government, then why not toss em a few munitions so they can do it? If helping them overthrow a dictator helps them to appreciate us a bit more, it would be a win-win.
Russia seems to simply have $$ signs in their eyes by selling arms to Assad.

Problem is that Russia is supporting the government and we now are supporting the rebels. If one looks at the big picture correctly, what will this do to Russia and the United States already fragile relationship?

G.W. Bush said that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. We went to war in Iraq. Now the white house is saying Syria has used chemical weapons. Sounds like the same old story only a different Prez to me.

Daris

Defense contractors spend on money on campaigns .

...if we 'meddle' correctly, there might be one less dictator, and one more appreciative group of people that want to live in some sort of democratic system...

Don't Russians live under some sort of democratic system? Just based on the definition of the word, there is no correct way to meddle.

Russia seems to simply have $$ signs in their eyes by selling arms to Assad.

Is that the Russian or American point-of-view?

Our meddling in the Middle East and anywhere else we can get away with it is based on the scarcity of critical natural resources, primarily but by no means limited to energy resources. In addition to that our global corporations can't allow------their survival is dependent on---------independent, sovereign nations that close off access or try to raise prices of those resources. All of this sets in the context of Russia, China and possibly other powerful countries seeking control and access to the same resources. There are also in direct relationship to the resources military and economy "choke points" that must be protected, apparently at all costs. "Expansion" is the key driving force in our Ponzi...........er, I mean our global financial system. We CANT be contained, or the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

I don't really understand why the government can't sell that argument. I guess it sounds too much like YOUR SON AND DAUGHTERS ARE OVER THERE FIGHTING FOR OIL. I believe they are in fact there fighting for oil and what's confusing is how the propaganda explanation is perceived to be a better reason to fight and die under our flag,

Chemical weapons, hand held surface to air missles, who's gonna get them? Libya had sam/s, just now we hear the radical islamists got many of them.
If we help it may just turn out like Egypt and Libya. Remember the shah of Iran? It's a waste of my tax dollars.

Helping out is different than what my senator, John McCain wants. He is old school cold war and would gladly set us up for another round of war debt and then try and blame the spending on Obama.

My thoughts are simply this. The school has a bully and knowbody there likes him. He wasn't elected class president but has total control of what's happening at school and stomps on anyone that gets in his way. His best buddy (Iran) helps him whenever he asks for it.
The classmates decide to take on the bully and as the fight goes on, teachers and students gather around and watch (Europe and the US). They don't like the bully either, but instead of intervening, they stand around watching the classmates get pummeled.
So who respects you now?
The bully? ...........no, he knows that you never liked him anyway and heard rumors you were rooting for the little guys.

The classmates that saw you standing around with your hands in your pockets watching them get pummeled? ....no, they really hate you now because you could have helped, but did nothing.

Nobody in the US wants troops over there, but what's wrong with helping out the little guy. I'm sure the rebels don't want us to win their war for them......... no pride in that.
Iran and Russia are helping out the bully and that's OK?

If we shouldn't meddle, why have sanctions against North Korea and Iran? Maybe we ought to leave them alone. I mean if we have nukes, they ought to be able to own them too.

One less Hezbollah supporting, anti Israel bully in the middle east is a good thing isn't it? If something major ever happens to Israel, that is what could drag us into another war.
We don't get oil from Syria anyway. The rebels are fighting for a democratic government anyway. Not a copy of ours for sure, but they want the Assad family out of government control. ...toss em a few rounds of ammo.
.......or maybe not, ........been dragging our feet making a decision for so long it may be too late anyhow.
...........am I right? heck, I don't know. Just my thoughts.

(Yikes...here we go again....that darn Bush!)

Well, that was the rhetoric during the last election, "Look at the debt and spending Obama is doing." Well he certainly didn't spend trillions of dollars all by his self. Look at who initiated the spending and for what. therein lies the answer.

When has it ever turned out good for us when we intervene in the mideast? It just makes people hate us, then they turn on us. Sometimes with ur own weapons.
Then to stave off agression, we hand them billions of dollars, like Egypt. I say let the rest of the world help them, we have done enough damage over there.

Latest posts

Back