Anybody want a job?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

In memory...
Supporting Member
Pro
80 odd rolls of IVC vinyl here

IMG_0477.jpg

What I like about those jobs is you're settled in for a while and don't have to expect to be shifting tools in and out every day chasing around supplies and arguing with customers over space and schedule.

Looks like too much work, heavy rolls. Shouldn't those be standing up on end?

From the vinyl manufacturer
Vinyl Roll Storage

85 rolls of 2 metre wide vinyl were delivered to this job today with this attached
I always thought vinyl rolls were meant to be standing on their ends not laying flat

VINYL STORAGE REQUIREMENTS
Vinyl must be stored laid flat in tight rolls up off the floor, ie not folded or on its end. It must be ensured that the rolls sit on
a flat plywood substrate and that the rolls neither hang over the edge of any substrate boards nor hard against any vertical
upright supports. Rolls should be rotated regularly if stored for a long period of time.
Handling must be by way of ?vinyl probe? and not with the use of standard fork-hoist forks.
Suitable storage area for the vinyl will be in a cool, dry and ventilated away from direct sunlight. A humidifier/dehumidifier
can be used if need be to raise/lower the humidity levels in the area.
Unroll the vinyl on a clean and dry floor. Inspect it to make sure it?s completely dry and free from dirt. If there is dirt on the
vinyl, vacuum it clean before you store it again after making cuts.
All rolls must have a durable cardboard or PVC core and must be stored in factory vinyl bags.
Keep the stored vinyl free from dirt and pest infestation by cleaning and dusting the storage area on a regular basis.

Are you finding roll marks when you kick this stuff out?

The point of standing the rolls upright is to keep weight off that one point of the roll throughout-------stress lines or creases even.

So long as the selvedge is being trimmed off and the rolls are handled professionally there's rarely damage when we stand it upright. Why would they want to lay the roll flat on the ground?

I see problems down the road with that unorthodox procedure.

Well, not down the road........behind me on the last job I did. The material came in a box laid on pallets and they were opened in the shop, delivered and laid FLAT on site for..........many days. There were compression/stress/creases throughout in distinct patterns------exactly where you'd expect from the weight.

I TOLD them but they didn't listen. Glad I get paid by the hour. This could be an expensive fix. Or maybe no one notices. These days you never can tell.

. Why would they want to lay the roll flat on the ground?

Me lino layer They make the stuff That's what was written by the manufacturer :)
The rolls came in a container all laying flat The bottom 2 or 3 layers of rolls had each roll of vinyl in a large cardboard roll so the rolls above the bottom ones were not laying on each other not squashing them Some of the rolls look like they have been cut with a chainsaw to make them 2 metre wide. The only trouble we are having is the end of the rolls with the creases Some manufacturers cut a piece out of the cardboard core so the vinyl slots into it before they roll the roll. Also Tarket sand off the ends of the vinyl so it doesn't make that lump

Me lino layer They make the stuff That's what was written by the manufacturer :)
The rolls came in a container all laying flat The bottom 2 or 3 layers of rolls had each roll of vinyl in a large cardboard roll so the rolls above the bottom ones were not laying on each other not squashing them Some of the rolls look like they have been cut with a chainsaw to make them 2 metre wide. The only trouble we are having is the end of the rolls with the creases Some manufacturers cut a piece out of the cardboard core so the vinyl slots into it before they roll the roll. Also Tarket sand off the ends of the vinyl so it doesn't make that lump

Never seen that................. very interesting.

Yeah, I didn't think TOO much about the rolls laying flat either because that's how they were shipped------excepting they were in boxes on pallets. I just wouldn't have wanted those cartons opened and the rolls laying DIRECTLY on the ground. I didn't see anything in the instruction as to how the material should be stored on site. They did have the ends feathered down so as to reduce the lump at that point.

They are stacked 3 high as well. I'd expect flat spots. Color Tile always used to do that to me. Or they'd leave one on a dolly hanging over the edge. Makes a nice dent.

When I ran a store that had a big warehouse, we were told to leave the vinyl in the box standing until we started cutting off it. I have seen it, especially the old 6' goods look like it had waves when it was left laying in one spot. I suppose that the vinyl backed vinyl would lay down quickly.

When I ran a store that had a big warehouse, we were told to leave the vinyl in the box standing until we started cutting off it. I have seen it, especially the old 6' goods look like it had waves when it was left laying in one spot. I suppose that the vinyl backed vinyl would lay down quickly.

Yes, the homogeneous PVC......like a Medintech or Mipolam are going to relax and flatten out eventually unless the creases are really severe and/or you don't smooth them out when laying.....in other words don't compress the goods into the glue by not letting it relax and get all the air out. With heterogeneous stuff you get creases within and between the layers that gravity, manipulation like backrolling, heat and traffic can't fix.

They did have the ends feathered down so as to reduce the lump at that point.

Nah Not on these rolls Big bumps for the last 2 or 3 feet
Its getting onto our summer so its fairly hot making the rolls flatten after an hour or so. We got 2 rolls laying down a passage way ready for glue tomorrow so she should be flat by the time we get there

Yes, the homogeneous PVC......like a Medintech or Mipolam are going to relax and flatten out eventually unless the creases are really severe and/or you don't smooth them out when laying.....in other words don't compress the goods into the glue by not letting it relax and get all the air out. With heterogeneous stuff you get creases within and between the layers that gravity, manipulation like backrolling, heat and traffic can't fix.

Never could figure out the difference between this hetero-homo-sexual vinyl names.

Never could figure out the difference between this hetero-homo-sexual vinyl names.

Makes a big difference when you work with a bunch of cave men. Seriously, it's really hard to screw up the homogeneous stuff. It's amazing how you can mishandle in the shop, off the truck and into the job site, then wrestle and manhandle sheets into the adhesive and then still, eventually get it flat. Bounce bend, fold, spindle and mutilate and we can still sell it. Welding is AGAIN way, way easier to the point that an excellent welder can work MIRACLES.

Not so with the heterosexual goods. Just look at them the wrong way and they're F'n toast. Very little the welder can do to save those jobs either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back