Apartment job quote

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Ok, let’s have some fun with two separate job quotes as if you were the Sub.

# 1 > 92 yds tackless install in LR DR HALL FOYER AND 2 BR’s , for a 3rd. Fl. Walk up empty unit, with TUO (on site dumpster ) also a few PCs. Of new tkls. And a 6’ metal over concrete ( no floor prep ) PS > this installer will power stretch and seal the 32 ‘ of seams. Note: I pre-cut all rooms and fills, plus already delivered the carpet + pad into the unit a few days earlier.

# 2 > 75 yds tackless in LR DR HALL and 2 BR’s w/ closets, for a first floor unit with No TUO , or vacuuming needed and the tackless is already down. I also pre-cut all rooms, fills and delivered carpet + pad a few days earlier.

What say you ? ….. thanks !

Well... Last time I did an empty apartment with standard builder's grade carpet for the landlord I got a buck a yard. There was definitely no power stretcher or seam sealer... And that was 1978... I was doing 100+ yards a day by myself... I was the richest kid on the block...

I have no clue what something like that would pay today. Maybe 5 or 6 bucks a yard and a dollar for the rip up?

Ok, let’s have some fun with two separate job quotes as if you were the Sub.

# 1 > 92 yds tackless install in LR DR HALL FOYER AND 2 BR’s , for a 3rd. Fl. Walk up empty unit, with TUO (on site dumpster ) also a few PCs. Of new tkls. And a 6’ metal over concrete ( no floor prep ) PS > this installer will power stretch and seal the 32 ‘ of seams. Note: I pre-cut all rooms and fills, plus already delivered the carpet + pad into the unit a few days earlier.

# 2 > 75 yds tackless in LR DR HALL and 2 BR’s w/ closets, for a first floor unit with No TUO , or vacuuming needed and the tackless is already down. I also pre-cut all rooms, fills and delivered carpet + pad a few days earlier.

What say you ? ….. thanks !
Alex, I'd like the second job for $1,000

Well... Last time I did an empty apartment with standard builder's grade carpet for the landlord I got a buck a yard. There was definitely no power stretcher or seam sealer... And that was 1978... I was doing 100+ yards a day by myself... I was the richest kid on the block...

I have no clue what something like that would pay today. Maybe 5 or 6 bucks a yard and a dollar for the rip up?
I don't think I'd get the job. I'd do the tear out and removal, for $2.50 per yard. I would drop it off at the shops dumpster. I'm doing removal, not including the disposal fee.
Installation would be $9 per yard, plus dinner. Grilled steelhead and cucumber salad with a glass of red wine would be nice.
.....every night.
I mean this isn't a one day job.. 😂

Attachments

• PXL_20230801_010829044.jpg
    PXL_20230801_010829044.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the feedback, the negotiations with my Subcontractor are complete. # 1 job, 92yds with TUO no delivery is 7.66 a/yd and # 2 job, 75yds with No TUO and no delivery is 6.20 a/yd.

I’m going to break on my traditional ways and actually share my number with you for further feedback and for posterity, as my days are numbered 😞…..My fee to the Retail Contractor is 9.84 a/yd for the following services. A ) Manage the schedule or problems directly with Apartment management. B ) warehouse materials and manage inventory.
C ) I usually pre-inspect each unit for cat or water damage D ) Tackless Carpet installation using manufacturer recommended practices of sealing seam edges, and power stretching. E ) shop vac crevices, under baseboard heat, slab and new carpet when finished. F ) reinforcement of existing tackless as needed.

Note: Steps, cat pee treatment, new metals or tackless and TUO early ( weeks prior to installation) due to Nasty 🤮 conditions left behind by tenants, are all reasonably billed extra and keeping me somewhat profitable.

Can I really raise my prices again ? Or should I become a Mule 😜 like Clint Eastwood in that movie 🎥 …. Maybe Hide the stuff inside the old cat pee carpet 😝

I get confused with abbreviations. TOU ?
Take out... ?
I love the vacuuming process. I do that too.
I've never done many apartments, that's why my snarky answer. I've never liked rentals because the owners want unreasonably cheap rates.
They get cheap labor, then the seams come apart and the carpet frays at the metal because it wasn't cut and tucked properly.
......they pay later when it needs repairing. 🙄

They get cheap labor, then the seams come apart and the carpet frays at the metal because it wasn't cut and tucked properly.
yea true, but with many apartments the carpet is gonna get trashed by the tenants who are only there a short time anyway. I give the landlords the nod on this one. Buy cheap, replace often.

If you have a tenant that you know and trust, and they’re gonna stick around a while then give them an upgrade and install it right.

I get confused with abbreviations. TOU ?
Take out... ?
I love the vacuuming process. I do that too.
I've never done many apartments, that's why my snarky answer. I've never liked rentals because the owners want unreasonably cheap rates.
TUO =‘s Take up old snarky boy 😜

The rate I receive is probably higher than most, but like my veteran colleague Glenn K says, I aim to please with worn out knees 😝

yea true, but with many apartments the carpet is gonna get trashed by the tenants who are only there a short time anyway. I give the landlords the nod on this one. Buy cheap, replace often.

If you have a tenant that you know and trust, and they’re gonna stick around a while then give them an upgrade and install it right.
In the projects, I put new carpet in some apts. 2-3 times a year. Your tax dollars at work.

Absolutely. I've worked for a number of people that have had the same renter for 10 or 15 years and treat the place nice.
For those kind, if hold off on rent increases just to keep them.

TUO =‘s Take up old snarky boy 😜

The rate I receive is probably higher than most, but like my veteran colleague Glenn K says, I aim to please with worn out knees 😝
TUS
Take up sticky. 😱
Getting paid higher rates is the greatest benefit of living in the same area and gaining a reputation. Word gets around and people once stung, don't want to have it happen again.

Absolutely. I've worked for a number of people that have had the same renter for 10 or 15 years and treat the place nice.
For those kind, if hold off on rent increases just to keep them.
My mother-in-law complained about her carpets after about 7/8 years. There was nothing really wrong, just needed restretch. She had been a Social Worker for the state and quoted me some law that landlords HAVE to replace carpet after so many years. I understood but explained she did not have rent control on the home so the landlord WOULD raise her rent if she demanded new carpet.

That gentleman never raised her rent for 12 years and she kept the home perfect. When she passed the rent for the new tennant went from $1900 a month-----what she was paying in 2022 to $3300 in 2023. He was being kind to an elderly and disabled family for most of those 12 years. He fixed every complaint she had that was included in the rental contract. We were thankful to him for his kindness and generosity and left the house much better than we found it.

Latest posts

Back