Bad Carpet? doesn't meet the CRI105 standard

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebuilder

Hi
I am looking for some advice. Not sure where to go.
I am a Canadian home builder. MY client chose carpet from a reputable company, but when walking up her open riser stairs, or crossing over transitions, her and her small children constantly pierce their toes on the protruding tack strip nails. The flooring company's solution was to "adjust" the tack strip, by hammering down the nails. Now the carpet is loose in areas, as the nails aren't holding. is this a standard "adjustment", or will it take the carpet out of warranty? It is now no longer installed in the normal manner. Also, the client sent me a paragraph from the CRI-105;

"It is required that tack-strips be a minimum of 1 inch (25 mm) wide and 1/4 inch (6 mm)
thick (Refer to Table III – Tack Strip at the end of this document). Architectural strips, 1 ¾
inches in width (50mm) with 3 rows of pins, or 2 conventional strips with 2 rows of pins
each, are required for stretching areas exceeding 30 feet to provide secure attachment of
the carpet and additional shear strength. To prevent possible injury to occupants, it is
required that the pins on tack-strips not protrude through the carpet being installed."

Since my client and her children have sent photos of bleeding toes, it appears the client is correct that the flooring doesn't meet the standard.... Should it be replaced with a carpet that can meet the standard?

Is there a governing body for flooring that I should be contacting?
I just want to do the right thing for my client, without causing harm to my sub contract flooring company.

Send a real Installer over there to fix the issue. It is normal to bang down the pins to prevent at doorways for this purpose .

Basically the consumer bought cheap carpet, this is why you can feel pins through the carpet. Now that you asked for the pins to be hammered down that caused the carpet to loosen its grip. Not really the flooring guys fault.
I've never had carpet loosen due to hammering pins down, just pinching of the fiber can be noticeable.
There are ways to decrease the pin intrusion into the backing with strips of this fabric over the pins, or else if available a shorter pin in the tackstrip.

http://cordobaweb.net/halex/carpet-tack-strip-pin-height-2/

Another way to shorten the pin height is to use binding tape on the tack strip. Layer it until the pins don't penetrate the face of the carpet. I've had the same problem over the years. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and norm break a few rules type thing.

Daris

at this point you restretch the carpet and staple it to the hammered down tack strip-----the working definition of cheap carpet is if you can feel the tacks of the tackstrip through it----installation seems standard---carpet not so much

at this point you restretch the carpet and staple it to the hammered down tack strip-----the working definition of cheap carpet is if you can feel the tacks of the tackstrip through it----installation seems standard---carpet not so much
I've installed $100+ per yard carpet that meets that definition.

best solution would be hammer to bend 'em over. This usually appears when in stalling thin carpets or when tacks have been bent to a vertical orientation. Hammer till you cnnot hear the metallic clink. Just confirm with your finger. At times pro charge you much, but taking guidance would be good.

Latest posts

Back