Baseboard installation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I have a question for some of the experts. I need to install new, better looking baseboards in three rooms where new carpet is going to be installed late next week. If I pull the old baseboards now and install the new ones, the carpet layers will probably scratch and potentially damage the boards. If I wait until the carpet is installed, I will need to tuck in the new carpet, which seems like a headache. What should come first?

As an installer. I like the baseboards installed. There will be no need to tuck the carpet in, if you decide to install them after. They will just sit on top. But if you do that, they would have to be removed should the carpet ever need restretched. The type of carpet backing is usually the determinng factor in whether the baseboards get scratches. Some people leave the baseboards 3/8" off the floor but I personally don't like that.

First off, I also like the baseboards flat on the ground. It avoids the ups and downs in a long stick of baseboard. That answers it, I will install the new sticks prior to the new carpeting. Thanks for the reassurance!

Unless you like your base scuffed up or they are using softbac, I would install afterwards. Just do not force it done on the carpet to hard. That way it can be pulled out for a restretch if they use a knee kicker.

If your carpet installers are any good, they can install the carpet without the base down, still keep the tack back far enough to not be under the base, and have it tucked just fine. My own home is still waiting for base to be stained and installed, and the carpet is just fine, it's prepared for that.

You are right to be concerned about high gloss white, IF it's fresh paint. If it's set and cured, you should be fine, so long as you have some of those professional carpet layers.

Tia

The carpet installers were good.....as a matter of fact, damn good. Baseboards didn't get any scratches on them, and the carpet is tight. It is nice to see the professionals are still around!

Latest posts

Back