Baseboard and carpet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjacobsn

Hi all,
My contractor installed my baseboards flush to the floor of the room I will be having carpet installed in. I did a dreaded Google search and it seems everyone is recommending that the baseboards be 3/8ths inch offrom the ground to tuck the carpet under. I talked to my contractor who said don't worry it will be fine as is. Part of the floor is wood and part is bare concrete if that matters. Just wondering if I should have them moved up before the painters come sat....

And you can easily chip the bottom of the baseboard if off the ground. Plus if your going for say a low pile Axminster or Wilton and the base is too high you sill see a gap.

The carpet really needs that gully to be tucked into between the tackstrip and baseboard to hold good.

P.S Make sure they use a power stretcher. :)

Remember pullin the shoe just to get the old carpet out. Then have to hand nail it back in because thats the way it was before and you better make it right.

Always thought it didn't look like wall to wall with the molding .

That was for hard goods . Don't get me wrong , I did a lot with it down to, But never removed it .

Always thought it didn't look like wall to wall with the molding .

That was for hard goods . Don't get me wrong , I did a lot with it down to, But never removed it .
Looks like crap with shoe.......... unless I suppose it's a thin commercial or woven in an early 1900's home.
It's nasty trimming and tucking up against shoe or 1/4 round molding.

Last edited:
The round molding was a Beach. The last 20 years or so, I would just rip it up and the thickness of the pad, and cpt would cover it up.

Latest posts

Back