Beep

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
My son's Alienware computer will start a constant beep every few days and when he reboots it quits. I thought it was overheating, but if it was why would the beeping not start again after it is rebooted. We have blown out the fans and they seem to be working fine.

Below are the Alienware desktop Beep Codes -
1 Possible motherboard failure or the monitor is connected to wrong HDMI port on the X51
2 No RAM detected
3 Motherboard chipset failure
4 RAM read/write failure
5 Real Time Clock failure (If the monitor is connected to the onboard HDMI port when a discrete video card is installed, the X51 will produce the 5 beeps)
6 Video card failure
7 Processor Failure.

My guess is it is either the Motherboard , or the cmos battery .

You can try their support site . http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?c=&l=&s=bsd?c=us

W7. Dell support will no longer help when the warranty expires. It expired two months ago. This is a $1400 13.6" laptop. He is using a 22" TV monitor.

It continues to beep until rebooted and then works fine for days. This has happened several times. It started a couple months ago, right after the warranty expired.

Let me see what i can find . Laptops suck when it comes to replacing cmos battery's

I have software on my confuser to check certain things . I just have so much i have to locate it .

Has he tried it without the TV monitor ?

Last edited:

Look at this first , then follow the following instructions .

with the thing UNPLUGGED (not just turned off) open the machine and re-seat the memory sticks. You don't have to completely remove them, just push the white cams at the end of each stick 'down and away' which will lift the stick out of the socket. If it does come out no big deal, just make sure you put it back in with the same orientation. There are notches in the stick to prevent it being put in backwards. With the stick aligned put your thumbs at top edge of stick at each end and push firmly down to put the stick back into the socket. The cams will come up and latch by themselves. Make sure they are fully up. (Compare to adjacent stick.)

Now try turning on the machine, probably will be fine.

If the beeps are a pattern, such as 3 shorts, or short, long, short, etc. then you need to identify the BIOS for the machine and look up the 'beep code' which will tell you what it is complaining about. Here are some of the things:

1) no memory - but we may have resolved that by reseating

2) no keyboard

3) no display adapter

There are others, but these are the big ones.

forgot to mention to pull out the battery also before touching and re-seating ram.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back