Bridging gap between two floors of different heights

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkadelicfred

Howdy guys just a DIYer here. Redid my flooring with thicker stuff and now the gap, which was already pretty big to begin with, is even more substantial.

Any ideas for a decent way to do this? I was thinking something like a transition strip with one of those angled pieces and maybe something underneath to make a sort of ramp.

Ideas?

Attachments

• 20240331_141319.jpg
    20240331_141319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240331_141321.jpg
    20240331_141321.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Yes, there are a very wide variety of "transition" moldings made of wood, plastic and metal but my recommendation would be to peel back that carpet, remove the tack strip and ramp up with shims of.............well, I cant see enough perspective here to estimate how far back and how thick your ramp needs to be. There are pre-molded ramps you can buy but with a little skill you can fabricate your own from whatever wood is available----in layers.

It's between 1/2" to 3/4" of a gap, the carpet is pretty dang flat but it does squish a little.

Yes, pretty well exactly as you've said. It's tackless strips over the original floorboards.

Ramp doesn't need to be far. Since it's going 1/2" or so I would image an inch or two wide would be more then enough. I thought of just sawing a rectangular strip of wood from corner to corner to get an angle but I'm no woodworker and do not have the jig's or know-how to saw a piece of wood on edge like that.

This baby threshold transition is appx 1/2” think and 2.50” wide. It has a lip on both sides, tuck the carpet under one and overlap the LVP on the other. I actually built up the carpet side appx 1/8” to accommodate a better height match.
Notice the lip sticking up slightly on the LVP side 😡 I’ll have to make some improvements on that, and the next one I do. That product is from Johnsonitt

Attachments

• AA184CE8-48B4-4AAC-9A5B-72767C265698.jpeg
    AA184CE8-48B4-4AAC-9A5B-72767C265698.jpeg
    620.8 KB · Views: 0
I'm seeing more of a height issue than a gap, correct?
Carpet stores sell wooden and vinyl ramps of varying thickness's. Shingles wort as mentioned, but you can't but 5 or 6 of them.
Door casing shims might work, too, but it would take a lot of them.
After that, or maybe before that, look around at transitions to get the best combination.

I went to the city and went to Home Depot and found a ramp strip. It's the next best thing. It still leaves a bit of a height difference of course on both sides but it's much better than it was.
download.png

Looks likes solid oak. That's one of the better choices if you're not wanting to fuss with a re-install of the carpet there. Nowadays I see Home Depot here (SoCal) has pretty much every standard transition molding on their sales floor. Not that long ago they would have a extremely modest (pathetic) choice of very cheap ones.

It's between 1/2" to 3/4" of a gap, the carpet is pretty dang flat but it does squish a little.

Yes, pretty well exactly as you've said. It's tackless strips over the original floorboards.

Ramp doesn't need to be far. Since it's going 1/2" or so I would image an inch or two wide would be more then enough. I thought of just sawing a rectangular strip of wood from corner to corner to get an angle but I'm no woodworker and do not have the jig's or know-how to saw a piece of wood on edge like that.
I cut them on a tablesaw all the time. If I have a cabinet guy make trims he runs pieces through a planer to the perfect height. I haven't bought a planer yet but would like one.

I cut them on a tablesaw all the time. If I have a cabinet guy make trims he runs pieces through a planer to the perfect height. I haven't bought a planer yet but would like one.

I literally bought my planer because I didn’t like how close I had to get my fingers to the blade when I made or modified transitions.

Latest posts

Back