Transition between different height floors

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazzo_fan

IMG_3321.jpeg
IMG_3322.jpeg
IMG_3325.jpeg
Husband and I are almost to the flooring stage of our renovation but are running into a snag as we are working with different height flooring.

Flooring we have on hand:
1. 30x30in terrazzo tile (55/64” thick) in foyer [50sqft]
2. 7in wide engineered hardwood (1/2” thick) in living, dining, media and bedrooms [1200sqft]

and
3. 30x30in porcelain tiles (.315” thick) in kitchen [200sqft] - installed with ditra underlayment

We are trying to make a seamless Schluter Deco metal transition work and have been provided options from different installers. Please let us know how these sound, if there are any concerns/drawbacks, other solutions to explore, or if we should give up and install a sloped transition.

Top bid is suggesting 5/8” plywood underlayment for hardwood area and sloped wood transition into kitchen where .315” tile is. This will bring the hardwood relatively up to height with the terrazzo.

Given this is a home we plan to live in for a very long time, we are keen on getting the smaller details right…like a sleek metal transition 🙂 We are pretty set on these floors, so wanting to identify the best move forward.

Please excuse our mess of a construction zone right now as you review photos. Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
IMG_3323.jpeg

Glue down engineered?

If so I would feather out a good 5’ with ardex feather finish. Then glue the floor in & put weight where needed to make sure there’s no hollow spots when following the contour of the “ramp up”.

Yep. You either feather it out or you have to build up. Putting down 1/4” backer board will buy you maybe 3/8” after it’s mortared down. 1/2” will buy you maybe 5/8”. You can use a larger notched trowel if you need more height.

Mortar and backer board aren’t necessarily expensive items but how many square feet you’re looking at building up may make feathering out the height difference a better option for the pocket book. I would build it up if it was my house, I would do it once and it would all be flat.

Latest posts

Back