Carpet Inspection

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only talk about vacuums when they are interested in really soft carpets. Always a joy to explain the $500 vacuum won't work right, but throw in a Wind tunnel so it's not really an issue.😃

I've been taking a picture of the vacuum and sending it with the report.

If you are not using a sweeper correctly ( set to low) or using a a non approved vacuum it will be entered into the report and come back as a maintenance issue, and you claim will be denied.
Also remember .. Well To my knowledge all mills have the same fine print in all warranties. Carpets must be cleaned by a truck mounted steam cleaner every 12-18 months and must keep a written record with receipt. I write this on my invoice and make them sign it, and then explain how to prepare for installation, sign again. And then give a list of approved vacuums, sign that too. If I do wood I have another set of maintenance guidelines, and give them a hygrometer, and free bottle of cleaner and microfiber cloths. If you prepare your customers claims are minimized. In my opinion most claims are due to poor maintenance, but I am not a claims expert aka professional bullshitter. If customers follow the rules and listen to my instructions, any problem will be taken care of promptly.

If you are not using a sweeper correctly ( set to low) or using a a non approved vacuum it will be entered into the report and come back as a maintenance issue, and you claim will be denied.
Also remember .. Well To my knowledge all mills have the same fine print in all warranties. Carpets must be cleaned by a truck mounted steam cleaner every 12-18 months and must keep a written record with receipt. I write this on my invoice and make them sign it, and then explain how to prepare for installation, sign again. And then give a list of approved vacuums, sign that too. If I do wood I have another set of maintenance guidelines, and give them a hygrometer, and free bottle of cleaner and microfiber cloths. If you prepare your customers claims are minimized. In my opinion most claims are due to poor maintenance, but I am not a claims expert aka professional bullshitter. If customers follow the rules and listen to my instructions, any problem will be taken care of promptly.

Dealing with a huge claim now, and came back as installation related. Since the inspector pulled back a corner somewhere and there were no pins in the backing they said it wasn't properly stretched. I could write a book with all goofy issues on that one.

Dealing with a huge claim now, and came back as installation related. Since the inspector pulled back a corner somewhere and there were no pins in the backing they said it wasn't properly stretched. I could write a book with all goofy issues on that one.

You must mean tiger tracks Buddy, that whats its called where the pins pull on the backing making small stretched out marks. You don't always get those on the set walls, so how did the inspector know which wall was a set wall?

You must mean tiger tracks Buddy, that whats its called where the pins pull on the backing making small stretched out marks. You don't always get those on the set walls, so how did the inspector know which wall was a set wall?

He's psychic or is that psycho? Never can keep that straight.:D

That's my whole point. He didn't know which wall it was, and he didn't indicate were the picture was taken. Could have been a closet.

My installer called last year during the installation and advised there was a low row in the material, which was mainly visible in the hall. I went out to inspect and it indeed has a visible defect, but we also noticed the ends were crushed. I advised installer to finish installation, because people can't have bear floors through a lengthy claims process. I went back and filed the claim.... So I call her the next day to set up her step installation ( they were being bound) and she was in love with the carpet. Such a happy friendly lady, who paid around 10k in flooring, and couldn't be happier. Even her "picky" husband didn't notice the low row and was thanking everyone (even tipped the installer) So I didn't say anything.... Then a year later she has a wrinkle in the hall. So I paid the same installer to go back out and stretch... Now I'm sweating.. Three months later .. Another wrinkle... Start claim.. Claim says installation.. BS ..

I'm feel at fault because I didn't take pictures of the delaminated carpet to start. In defense any pro can see the repeating dot running through the hall, but the third party mill inspector didn't report on that either. He just pulls back a corner and snips a pic and says it's not stretched lol .

We hired another inspector who's going out this week.
It will be resolved somehow, and we will probably eat the job, but it wasn't the installer, and we won't leave our customer with defective carpet.

Welcome to the forum Budd.
I had the same problem a year ago . i didn't install it. sent it back .
Next piece same line ,3rd piece same line . Lady finnaly said just install it .

One of the local stores got to the point several years ago that they hired me to inspect every roll of carpet they bought. I found some that the backing was falling off when I unrolled it. :(

Latest posts

Back