Looking for a textured carpet that is hopefully dog friendly

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoopsLanding

I am looking for a carpet for both my stairs and landing. I was going for a loop pile carpet as I like the texture but I have subsequently had second thoughts as my parents have a small dog who very occasionally visits and who I would become the primary carer of if anything were to happen to them. She has been known to occasionally dig the carpets at my parents with her claws although she is told off for this. I've read that a loop pile carpet maybe a big no no if you have a cat or dog, and that their claws can also get caught in the loop. My question to my fellow forumites is whether anyone could recommend a textured carpet which doesn't have such issues. I could always take the risk with my carpet of choice as 99% of the time it is only me, but in my heart I probably realise that I may need to review my initial choice. Also, the care instructions for the carpet I was going for advises vacuuming it with a vacuum which doesn't have a beater bar. My vacuum does.

First off what kind of dog is it that you call small? Some people call a Great Dane small. Is it frisky and runs and plays a lot? I had a English Shepard get a nail caught in a berber type carpet and paniced and pull and wrappred the yarn around his leg and paw and the owner thought they were going to have to amputated the paw. All things to take into consideration but I wouldn't recomend any type of loop pile carpet.

There may be an exception? Check out Karastan Carpets ( I’m assuming they still exist) Back in the day ( 15 - 20 years ago ) we installed for a dealer in Phila. Pa. That had the Karastan line. The loops are woven into a hard back and they aren’t coming out. It’s VERY EXPENSIVE and only certified installers and young ME 😛 are qualified to lay it.

Best of luck !

Latest posts

Back