Cleat nailer vs brad/stapler?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonto

I'm a DIYer and plan to install about 800 sq. ft. of 3/8" flooring. 18 gauge cleat nailers seem to run about $300 while 18 gauge brad nailers/staplers can be had for about $120. I know the cleat nailer would be better, but would it be worth the extra $180?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes. Cleats are designed specifically for the job. The cleat nailer is designed to draw the boards tight when it is struck with the hammer.

What is $180 in comparison to the cost of the overall project? Use the proper tools to do the job, then sell on ebay or the like.

That said, read the installation instructions for your flooring product.

I'm a DIYer and plan to install about 800 sq. ft. of 3/8" flooring. 18 gauge cleat nailers seem to run about $300 while 18 gauge brad nailers/staplers can be had for about $120. I know the cleat nailer would be better, but would it be worth the extra $180?
Thanks in advance.

Check out the Harbor Freight nailer. I got it on sale for $99. I did about 1500 sq ft of 2 1/4 inch wide red oak (lots of cleats) and didn't have any jams or misfires. They say 90 day warranty, but that is for commercial use or rental, but 1 year for home DIY use (unless they changed the policy). A lot of HF tools are ng but this seems to be a 'diamond in the rough'.....I think it's a knockoff the Campbell Hausfeld nailer.

Latest posts

Back