Click Lock LVT's

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msinstallations

I have been getting into the floating VLT's this year with the locking systems.

Just wondering how these have been working out for everyone. I always wonder about expansion on these floors, it is rather difficult to allow for expansion when you have to install metal in doorways and such to stretch carpet to. On the other hand they spec 1/8 for it to expand and then the customer sets a refrigerator freezer on top of the floor, I don't see where that would allow for any movement in the floor.

The other thing I noticed is end seams have a tendency to peak, I thought I was doing something wrong and one day at the store I looked at a sample on display and that was doing the same thing.

Also wondering what everyone is doing on transitions to floors such as vct that are glue down.

It certainly appears as if these floors are getting popular with consumers anyway.

I don't consider the locking panels easy money. The planks aren't bad, but the 12x24 panels are a different story. I question if they will stay together over time. I prefer to glue things down so I don't have to be concerned about them.

Well, it is a catch 22, gluing anything always can have it's share of issues, specially out here in concrete world. I have yet to hear any issue with the weight of a refer on it.

So what are the issues that you are having when you do inspections? Would be nice to hear about other installers mistakes so I don't make them myself.

Just seems like there are so many floors over the years that where going to be the greatest invention since the wheel and they just turned out to be expensive bad memories.

After laying a few sizable jobs I have come to the conclusion the most important issue may be keeping it running straight. I drop chalk lines and then support them every 5 feet or so using some utility tape and my radiation iron, the tape is under the material I use for stays not the planking I am laying. Those vinyl planks will have a lot of flex and will move off 1/8 or more before you even notice. I am wondering if that is not where a lot of installation problems may come into play.

Last edited:
Biggest issue/s on floating LVT I see is, 1) Floor flatness 2) no gap or filling gap with caulking. 3) Exceeding the limit of the man's length and widths without proper breakage. Oh, and 4) DIY'er and or using a GC as an installer and not getting a real qualified installer.

Latest posts

Back