Contractor texted and asked me if these are "normal" touch up issues.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
That's a text I received from a contractor along with these pictures.
It's a new addition and I measured the job 4 months ago. The contractor is new to me, but I think does top notch work.
Why are so many flooring guys hacks? ...I mean this is someone's nice home by the river, not some flipper house. 🤬

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
Ok, so I'm going out on a limb here. Is that new construction? Or at least new baseboards?

Reason being because I have been in situations where I pulled out a old carpet and installed a thinner one. That exposes what previous installers did. And if they frigged up the baseboards it shows. I've even been blamed for doing it.
Not saying it's the case but could it be a possibility?

Ok, so I'm going out on a limb here. Is that new construction? Or at least new baseboards?

Reason being because I have been in situations where I pulled out a old carpet and installed a thinner one. That exposes what previous installers did. And if they frigged up the baseboards it shows. I've even been blamed for doing it.
Not saying it's the case but could it be a possibility?
Brand spanking new.

As a layman, I have no idea what I'm looking at other than the baseboards need to be repainted & it looks like there's some carpet fuzz.

Brand spanking new.

So no excuses then.

I think we've all been in a situation where we forgot a wall trimmer/ too lazy to go to the van for one. Anyone worth a shit would just stretch it in, fold it towards yourself and cut from the back then tuck. Never understood why someone would go to town from the front while mangling what's behind it?

So yeah, a back charge is definitely acceptable in this circumstance. A lot of old timers I know always say the same thing, if you want to hurt someone, hit em where it really hurts... The wallet!!

I have been back charged before. Mostly the knuckle head gophers on big new construction jobs. Fudging up the walls bringing in rolls of carpet. You get one warning before it comes out of your check.
If you can't figure it out after one warning then you're clearly incompetent or you work for the painters. Either way your out!

How many times have yyou trimmed a wall where it was just a smidge long and wouldn't tuck right. A little trick for that and it would work for this also is stick the blade of your spreader between the wall and carpet and cut away sliding the spreader as you go.

How many times have yyou trimmed a wall where it was just a smidge long and wouldn't tuck right. A little trick for that and it would work for this also is stick the blade of your spreader between the wall and carpet and cut away sliding the spreader as you go.
I have even trimmed some carpets using that method. I'll stick two or three of my 6-inch and 9-in spreaders one right behind the other and trim straight against them in a similar fashion to the guy that cut up these baseboards. After making a foot and a half of headway just LeapFrog the spreaders continuously down the wall and cut as you go. It makes an extremely clean cut.
When I work with my grandfather he carried three or four pieces of 4-in formica and slipped that behind the wall to trim against once in awhile. I think he also used it along with the wall trimmer to protect baseboards that had been freshly painted.
What bothers me is it you know darn well he saw those cuts in the baseboard as soon as he started using that method. The question is why didn't he stop and use a trimmer or cut it by hand from the back side. I mean that's just nuts continuing around all of the walls using that same method. The carpeted areas were a 16-ft square master bedroom, a 12x16 bedroom a 13x20 bedroom a 14x 18 bedroom and a set of stairs. I'm hoping like hell he didn't do the same thing on the stairs 😱

Maybe dude needs some glasses. I had a helper that thought his work looked acceptable when it didn’t. I also thought he was just dumb and couldn’t read a tape. Turns out he just needed a pair of glasses.

Latest posts

Back