Copper Floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine there would be some reaction.

Further reading of the statute-
-EXPCITE-
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 17 - COINS AND CURRENCY

-HEAD-
Sec. 333. Mutilation of national bank obligations

-STATUTE-
Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or
unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank
bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national
banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal
Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note,
or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined
under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

So maybe it's not legal. I dunno but I'm not sure taking credit for it on facebook is the best idea. Who knows whether or not some over zealous prosecutor will come across it and look to make an example of someone. Look how much money the gov't spent trying to convict Clemens of lying.

So maybe it's not legal. I dunno but I'm not sure taking credit for it on facebook is the best idea. Who knows whether or not some over zealous prosecutor will come across it and look to make an example of someone. Look how much money the gov't spent trying to convict Clemens of lying.

And you wander why we're in a depression .:mad:

And John Edwards.

I posted this picture several months ago on my Pinterest account, and the cents per square foot was off (they were saying 144, but we know pennies aren't an inch across), so it made me do some checking. They say 304, so $3.04 in a square foot. Not really sure of the legality.

Tia

16 pennies touching across is exactly 12 inches.
16 x 16 = 256
In this case alternating rows are offset by half for a snug fit
19 rows down = 12 3/8"
16 x 19 = 304
304 pennies = 1.03125 sf
1 sf = 294.79 pennies

16 x 16 = 256
19 rows down = 12 3/8"
16 x 19 = 304
304 pennies = 1.03125 sf
1 sf = 294.79 pennies

........so I'm thinkin' work is really, really, slow? :D
Hey, find something more durable for a price like that. Still cool.

Edit:
Then the epoxy resin............. not cheap, but hey, what is? Still, still cool.
If pennies were still 100% copper, they could be polished smooth with a buffer .
............almost cooler.

Last edited:
16 x 16 = 256
19 rows down = 12 3/8"
16 x 19 = 304
304 pennies = 1.03125 sf
1 sf = 294.79 pennies

Like I said, 304.

Tia

I'll concede 304 to be the nominal size per sq. ft. appropriate enough for DIYer estimates. For the purposes of the professional specifier and mechanic the exact or real size of the piece is most relevant.

If you consider this scenario of a 400 sf coin floor proposed in the Geek Forum, Tim used a couple of methods to figure coin count; including "circle packing density as 0.90689968211" and "calculating the hexagonal packing".

Tim's final $ figure for pennies needed to cover a 20' X 20' (400 sf) floor was $1178.96 or 117,896 pennies. That number divided by 400 sf is 294.74 per sf supporting my number of 294.79 per sf (even though Tim's final calculation is erroneous at $4.91 (491 pennies) because he incorrectly applies the total sf as 240 as mentioned in the second post by AdderD- although in a separate context.)

If a professional were to order material for this space based on the nominal size of 304 she would order 121,600 pennies. In comparison to the real figure- that would be 3704 pennies, 74 rolls and 20 lbs. of overage that needs to be lugged to coinstar at a restocking cost of 9%. lol

Now I'd go with 295 as a compromise for the pro, even be somewhat tolerant of 300 to deal with round numbers, cut the overage in almost half and account for a bit of sticky fingers...but 304 is unreliable and faulty as a real world number.

After a little thought I have to reconsider and retract my statement-
...appropriate enough for DIYer estimates.

I thought about if I were actually saving these pennies for this project (nice family project) I'd be saving based on weight as opposed to count. If I didn't start the project until I had all the material on hand and used 304 per sf as my basis I would have to wait the additional time required to collect another 20.72 lbs. of pennies. The time frame would obviously be subjective but often a miscalculation at the beginning can lead to more serious repercussions.

After a little thought I have to reconsider and retract my statement-

I thought about if I were actually saving these pennies for this project (nice family project) I'd be saving based on weight as opposed to count. If I didn't start the project until I had all the material on hand and used 304 per sf as my basis I would have to wait the additional time required to collect another 20.72 lbs. of pennies. The time frame would obviously be subjective but often a miscalculation at the beginning can lead to more serious repercussions.

How much will 50lbs do? Thats about 1/4 of a water jug. Its getting very hard to one hand it anymore.

Daris

50 lbs pennies
roll of 50 pennies = .28#
50#/.28
178.57 rolls*50 ea.
8928.5 pennies/295 per sf
30.26 sf coverage

I new if I asked someone would calculate that sf per penny for me. :) I'm glad I didn't try it. Although I keep looking at my jug in the laundry room......

:D:D:D Rub it in............

To be honest, I should have agreed with 294.79, but ... do they all touch tight? Like, there is such a thing as a "grout line", even between pennies.

Tia

P.S. Too funny, we are negotiating the details of penny floors. Let's pick another odd thing to figure out together ... :cool:

Last edited:
To be honest, I should have agreed with 294.79, but ... do they all touch tight? Like, there is such a thing as a "grout line", even between pennies.

Tia

P.S. Too funny, we are negotiating the details of penny floors. Let's pick another odd thing to figure out together ... :cool:

How 'bout how many dried boogers per sq ft embedded in resin? :D
...and NO, I ain't gonna help you clean the coffee off the keyboard, monitor and wall. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back