Have I been living under a rock?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloorMaven

Prospective client asked me to bid 1200 sf of laminate install but kindly gave me fair warning that Lowes had bid 79¢ per sf. That's less than half what I charge and I was wondering if this is what the "going rate" is now and when did this happen? I did a little research and see Lowes has a sale for 99¢ install.

lowes-99.jpg

Course they change out or make up extra charges and bump up the cost of underlayment. One client told me that HD was charging for rolling out the underlayment. Doubt the installer gets that or even a cut.

Then they tell you ya need putty, and sealer yata yata. You'd be lucky to lose it if they are buying XP. :rolleyes:

i heard that there is a delivery charge for the installers to bring the rug out to your house---makes me wonder about that acclimation -moisture testing thing that obsess so many here

I sub for said box store and I can tell you that they are running a sale right now for a $.99 install for basic labor. This doesnt include rip out or molding. I can also tell you that they pay me more than twice that to install.

Lowes must be getting an unbelievable discount from the manufacturer to be able to build in that cost.

Maybe it is in the extras. I know when installing carpet, they charge for the tack strip and also charge at least $1.50 a ft. to install strip. At least that is what an installer told me.

We get like $.42 to install tackless but we have to supply it. Im sure they make up the cost in the product margin. They buy so much of the stuff Im sure they get a great price.

Latest posts

Back