Creaking laminate

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flacracker

I had Armstrong laminate professionally installed in January and it creaked from day one. It's taken this long for the installer and Armstrong to decide what to do about it.

They plan on glueing the panels together. Any opinions on this will be appreciated.

laminate seems like a bad idea to me..........inherently

I realize it's very popular and a growing market

But it's Formica on particle board generally used in spaces like kitchens, laundry, toilets, corridors, family rooms that are subject to the types of activities that I would not expect particle board to survive.

The word "impervious" comes to mind. Without getting into the specifics of your CONDITIONS and INSTALLATION any flooring placed in the above mentioned types of space should be impervious to moisture and humidity. I've seen a lot of laminate flooring absolutely freaking out and failing where ceramic tile, stone or vinyl flooring would have no problems given similar troublesome circumstances.

Let me be more clear. ALL the manufacturers of flooring, adhesives, underlayments and accessories will clearly spell out near perfect CONDITIONS on a job site in order to warranty an installation and guaranty the manufacture of their product. The exclusions are so comprehensive that no floor was ever installed under such perfect conditions ever, even in the research laboratories where the scientists test the extremes of tolerance for the materials to be installed.

But outside the law offices, marketing departments and show room floors there are products and materials that have withstood the test of time. Others..............not so much.

I think laminate is garbage.

Last edited:
Creaking usually comes from to much deflection, mismilled locking mechanisms and or the floor being locked in to tight against vertical obstructions like door casings, walls and the transition strips.
The original early laminates were all glued T&G which also helped keep water out of the joints. I believe that was a much better method myself. Gluing should take care of the problem. Make certain there is the required perimeter gap and the subfloor is flat which is no deviations more than 3/16th of an inch.

laminate seems like a bad idea to me..........inherently

I realize it's very popular and a growing market

But it's Formica on particle board generally used in spaces like kitchens, laundry, toilets, corridors, family rooms that are subject to the types of activities that I would not expect particle board to survive.

The word "impervious" comes to mind. Without getting into the specifics of your CONDITIONS and INSTALLATION any flooring placed in the above mentioned types of space should be impervious to moisture and humidity. I've seen a lot of laminate flooring absolutely freaking out and failing where ceramic tile, stone or vinyl flooring would have no problems given similar troublesome circumstances.

Let me be more clear. ALL the manufacturers of flooring, adhesives, underlayments and accessories will clearly spell out near perfect CONDITIONS on a job site in order to warranty an installation and guaranty the manufacture of their product. The exclusions are so comprehensive that no floor was ever installed under such perfect conditions ever, even in the research laboratories where the scientists test the extremes of tolerance for the materials to be installed.

But outside the law offices, marketing departments and show room floors there are products and materials that have withstood the test of time. Others..............not so much.

I think laminate is garbage.

It always looks better on the show room floor.

Latest posts

Back