Dealing with sales people

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am a distributor of installation products for all types of flooring. I am just starting to sell refinishing supplies... Sandpaper, screens, finishes, stains, sanding equipment, etc. What I am hoping to learn from this forum is: how to approach hardwood refinishing contractors. My initial experiences have been difficult. It seems to me, that most of you guys work all day and don't want to be bothered with sales people at 7:00 am or 5:00 pm. Can you tell me the best way to introduce my business to yours?

8120120 said:
I am a distributor of installation products for all types of flooring. I am just starting to sell refinishing supplies... Sandpaper, screens, finishes, stains, sanding equipment, etc. What I am hoping to learn from this forum is: how to approach hardwood refinishing contractors. My initial experiences have been difficult. It seems to me, that most of you guys work all day and don't want to be bothered with sales people at 7:00 am or 5:00 pm. Can you tell me the best way to introduce my business to yours?

Are you brick & mortar? What makes you any different than who I already buy from? Send out free samples. We like spiffs.

We are "brick and mortar", 2 locations, next day delivery. Our competitor sells Bona, we sell DuraSeal and Basic Coatings... They sell Bona abrasives, we sell Norton and 3M... They have 1 guy who is owner/sales/warehouse, etc., we have 4 outside sales people, 1 specification rep., 3 counter guys at each location. Those are the primary differences between us. Can you give me an example of a spiff that you liked? With samples, would you like buy a case of finish, get a gallon of stain free? I'm looking for a couple of things: 1. Ideas for introductory offers. 2. The best method of making contact with the contractor. (I have done flyers, phone blitzes, mailers) I know that I will get and keep the guy if I can have some time to get to know him... but, you guys all seem to work 60 hour weeks and despise salespeople who want any of your time. Thank you both (Daris and FloorMaven) for any input you provide.

Respectfully!

Make an appointment to meet them at the job site. Ask what products they use, methods, challenges. Most of the guys I know have there favorite paper, stain, sealer and finish so don't expect people to jump ship because of freebies. I will drive to Des Moines to get a case of finish that I like rather risk screwing up a 1000 sqft. using "its just like your brand" Just because my local guys ran out. Never run out of finish...I am on my 3rd store because of that one thing. Lunch at the store is never a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back