defect? i think so!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Professional
Pro
I was about to install a laminate floor the other day and stumbled upon something I hadnt seen before. Every piece of flooring in every single box had the corner cut off. It was not a clean cut and it didnt affect the face of the flooring, only the locking system. My concern was that without a full lock on that corner, if the flooring was exposed to any moisture from the top it would peak the seams. I called the manufacturer to try and get some sort of explanation and the "tech" rep's exact words were "Thats how that color came off the line. You shouldnt have any problems with it. They told me why its like that but I cant remember what they said". Now, this particular manufacturer not only makes flooring but light fixtures as well! So Im extremely frustrated and the store I work for has asked that I go ahead with the install against my recommendations. Needless to say, the floor went in today and Im kicking myself for not sticking to my guns. Please discuss amongst yourselves, lol.

Hard to tell with all the different locking designs these days. Show us a picture.

ForumRunner_20130225_222327.jpg

ForumRunner_20130225_222346.jpg

Its not a finished cut. Its almost like it hit the saw blade on an angle and they decided to send it out anyway because it just missed the face.

Thats exactly what I said. The store has it documented so if there are any issues I wont be liable but I dont want to reinstall a floor once im done at the jobsite. I want to be done with it.

Agree with you Ken . Send the crap back .

I have to replace 600' of lam in Myrtle beach in April that i installed last year because the cleaning co mopped the floor with wax , and even left a puddle by the sliding door . Has mop marks through out the floor , and the side and end joints are curling up.

Last edited:
I hate do overs. The only one that I didn't mind too much, I got paid to inspect a floor a second time to document if it had gotten worse from the first time I inspected it.

It had been hacked in really bad. I mean, nosing on top of the wood flooring along a balcony for one. Really? Had quite the audience the second time around. Owners, builders(current and fired), designer, attorneys and I forget who else. One of the attorneys about crapped himself after I answered his question regarding what I was doing with the magnets. Have done inspections for both attorneys since.

One of the attorneys about crapped himself after I answered his question regarding what I was doing with the magnets. Have done inspections for both attorneys since.

Often times everyone is watching what your doing or taking pictures of during an inspection. I plain out tell them what I am looking for, but no opinions about it. Like; "Oh just checking for proper expansion gaps", then then look on their face (priceless) when I am taking a picture of a fireplace hearth or some vertical surface and it is butted to it and slathered with caulking. They suddenly put 2 & 2 together.

Ok ok maybe one time I said; " Holy mother of God that looks just like termite tunnels!" LOL I kid, I kid. kinda.

Last edited:
What , He don't have a seeing eye dog ? Even if the spindles were straight it would never pass code here . :D

Latest posts

Back