Doorway issue

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trauen52

Can anyone help to find a solution to this issue? I can't figure out how to post photos, this is a project my husband tackled and while the rest of the flooring looks great he didnt cut under the trim on the doorways. His plan was to use a wood putty in the small areas but it doesn't look good. Any suggestions?

It won't look good. You either do a good job trimming or undercut the doorways. I personally don't like undercut doorways but that is just me. Years ago, you could buy a shoe trim that would bend, but I don't know if they still make it.

Figured out how to upload photos. Here is a better idea of the issue. Was thinking maybe just try to cut tiny pieces of the flooring and stick them in?

Attachments

• IMG_20211108_133751.jpg
    IMG_20211108_133751.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20211108_133747.jpg
    IMG_20211108_133747.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 82
You have yourself a classic case of DIY. The middle is easy... but that other stuff goes and buggers it all up.

There are a few option, most of which aren't fantastic.

Filler will work but it will look like a big section of filler. It never really works on bigger areas to blend seeing as one solid lump of soil color is almost as obvious as the misscut.

Trying to plug it with flooring material to lessen the hole and then fill it is a slightly better plan, its not easy to get that kind of stuff cut in there but it is possible.

I can't really tell how big that hole is, looks about 1/2 - 3/4 inch... you could remove the last 6 or so inches of the door casing and install plinth blocks to cover it and carry your q.round into the door frame. This is the best of the worst ideas as it can almost make it look on purpose.

The best thing to do is just remove those pieces, undercut the door and try again. Sometimes the amount of work involved makes filler look like not such a bad idea. Remove the q.round, pull the transition and the pieces and voila.

You have yourself a classic case of DIY. The middle is easy... but that other stuff goes and buggers it all up.

There are a few option, most of which aren't fantastic.

Filler will work but it will look like a big section of filler. It never really works on bigger areas to blend seeing as one solid lump of soil color is almost as obvious as the misscut.

Trying to plug it with flooring material to lessen the hole and then fill it is a slightly better plan, its not easy to get that kind of stuff cut in there but it is possible.

I can't really tell how big that hole is, looks about 1/2 - 3/4 inch... you could remove the last 6 or so inches of the door casing and install plinth blocks to cover it and carry your q.round into the door frame. This is the best of the worst ideas as it can almost make it look on purpose.

The best thing to do is just remove those pieces, undercut the door and try again. Sometimes the amount of work involved makes filler look like not such a bad idea. Remove the q.round, pull the transition and the pieces and voila.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I think we are going to install the plinth blocks, I wouldn't mind a bulkier look to the door trim anyway. Any tips for the process are appreciated!

It is really easy, measure a height, draw a line, multi-tool it out and plop in a plinth. Usually they would hold the same reveal as the casing on your door but in this case you will want to install them flush with the door frame, then if you choose you can install something in the frame itself to cover that gap and return it as an end stop with the plinth. It is a little hokey, but it can look good if you plan it well and pick materials that compliment each other.

Latest posts

Back