Interlocking Wood Siding used as flooring...

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rchljffrsn

There's a room in my house that im about to start remodeling that has old 4in plank interlocking wood siding used as the flooring. This remodeling project is a small budget project. i am trying to find out what my options are with this floor. The issues with it are a few actually. There's no subflooring and its old so it has allot of gaps and holes. I can't afford to rip up the old siding and have subflooring and all new wood flooring installed. Its to warped to have a floating floor put down and im trying to avoid having threshold height difference. I don't have a problem just painting it since its been painted by previous owner but i do have problems with the gaps. Its a "dining room" technically but its above the basement laundry area. Everytime i mop, or if anyone spills a drink in there it drips down on the laundry area and I've had to rewash clothes plenty of times. So any suggestions. Or options on what i can do is appreciated.

Cap it with plywood/ OSB then poly the plywood/ OSB for a finished floor

Cap it with 1/4” ply then loose lay sheet vinyl.

Rent a floor sander from HD and sand it as flat as you can get it then install a floating floor.

Rip up the existing floor, clean up and flatten/ level your joists, clean up the saved flooring then reinstall it. Once you suck up all the gaps after you reinstall it you will prolly need a filler strip to make up for all the gaps. Shouldn’t be hard to come up with a matching filler strip.

Fill in the joist cavities from underneath so spills don’t drip downstairs.

You got options. Just depends on your budget and level of creativity.

Latest posts

Back